The Scottish Government is consulting on its vision for children and young people’s rights and services. The Bill’s measures include:
- embedding the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child across the public sector;
- extending the powers of the Scottish Commissioner for Children and Young People to enable the Commissioner to undertake investigations on behalf of individual children and young people;
- increasing the funded annual provision of pre-school education for 3 and 4 year olds and looked-after 2 year olds;
- fully implementing the Getting it right for every child approach across Scotland so that all children and young people have a Named Person;
- introducing a single planning process to support children and young people needing the involvement of a range of services;
- raising the age at which young people leaving care can ask for help from a local authority from 21 to 25; placing a clearer definition of corporate parenting is put on statute. YouthLink Scotland will consult with our membership on a response to the Bill. Further details will be available in due course.
Further information can be found on the scottish government Website