ErlandBellUWS

Minecraft games-based learning.

The 2011 Horizon Report recognised games-based learning as a future trend that would be adopted within the teaching profession within 3 years (Bray, 2012).  Today’s Digital Technology tutorial proved that recognition was justified as pupils from a local school introduced the world of MineCraft to the class.

As a parent, I have had the opportunity to see the game being played by my children and am aware of their enjoyment of the game.  In the past I have seen it as an unsophisticated tool with poor graphics, but I have never seen the potential it offers.  I have also viewed numerous video’s online by Vloggers, such as Dan T.D.M, who play the game, however I have not engaged with the videos assuming; as an adult I would not find interest in them.

Throughout the Digital Technology Module, MineCraft has been mentioned as a tool that could be used to assist learners to engage with lessons, with one example being that a child who is struggling to write a story may create a land on Minecraft then write what they have created.  I understood the value in this.  In a previous workshop we explored the use of Super Mario Kart as a games-based learning tool and I fully engaged with it, so I approached the class about MineCraft with an open mind.

As an emergent teacher the value of the game was instantly obvious as the pupils who visited the class were vibrant and enthusiastic about the game.  In a previous blog, I referred to the SHANARRI wheel which recognises the importance of wellbeing within education and the results of games-based learning demonstrated some of the SHANARRI outcomes.  Pupils were engaged and willing to interact with myself and my fellow Students.  The school pupils demonstrated a sense of responsibility (Scottish Government, 2017) and felt respected (Scottish Government, 2017) as they became the teacher.  There was a sense of confidence and they played an active role in the workshop.

Bray (2012) states that in a classroom setting, games should not just be used as rewards or for entertainment but as a whole new approach to learning.   Experimenting with the MineCraft game provides opportunities for this to happen.  Pupils explained to the group the Harry Potter World they had created and how they had used it to interact with each other:

“It is good to be able to play online with your friends” said Miss C.

“I like to be able to talk about what we are going to do next” said Master G.

These comments reflect thoughts by Beauchamp who states that the type of skills that are developed through games-based learning include: Strategic Thinking, Planning, Communication, Negotiating Skills and Group Decision Making (Beauchamp, 2017)

As a result of the visit to the University, the Experience and Outcomes (E’s & O’s) as outlined in the Curriculum for Excellence achieved by the pupils included:

Representing my class, school and/or wider community encourages my self-worth and confidence and allows me to contribute to and participate in society. HWB 2-12a

Opportunities to carry out different activities and roles in a variety of settings have enabled me to identify my achievements, skills and areas for development. This will help me to prepare for the next stage in my life and learning. HWB 2-19a

When I engage with others, I can respond in ways appropriate to my role, show that I value others’ contributions and use these to build on thinking. LIT 2-02a

Whilst the approach is games-based, the learning does not come from the game itself, the game becomes a context for what the learning will be about (Bray, 2012) i.e. A teacher may use MineCraft to enlist learners, but the game play itself can be short.  One example would be to use the game when studying a topic.  Game play would engage learners and encourage participation but lessons surrounding the topic would further benefit the learner.

Considering a History Topic of the 2nd World War, learners could be asked to work in groups to design a Bomb Shelter using the MineCraft game.  They would consider supplies needed for the shelter, access to the shelter and its position under the ground.  This activity itself would meet the following outcomes from the Curriculum for Excellence:

When listening and talking with others for different purposes, I can:  share information, experiences and opinions  explain processes and ideas  identify issues raised and summarise main points or findings  clarify points by asking questions or by asking others to say more. LIT 2-09a.

I can create, capture and manipulate sounds, text and images to communicate experiences, ideas and information in creative and engaging ways.  TCH 1-04b / TCH 2-04b

(Scottish Government, 2008).

Using the MineCraft bomb shelter as the context, further lesson could include:  Writing a letter to a friend who has been evacuated to the country from the perspective of being in the bomb shelter during an Air-Raid:

I am learning to use language and style in a way which engages and/or influences my reader. ENG 2-27a (Scottish Government, 2008).

A Mathematics lesson around the dimensions of the shelter could be planned, ensuring the space will be big enough to accommodate the items it would need in it:

I can use the common units of measure, convert between related units of the metric system and carry out calculations when solving problems.  MNU 2-11b (Scottish Government, 2008).

Discussions could be had surrounding the genocide of the Jewish people:

I am increasing my knowledge and understanding of different forms of worship and artefacts within world religions and can explain their importance for followers of world religions. RME 2-06a.

I can use primary and secondary sources selectively to research events in the past.  SOC 2-01a.

Throughout all my learning, I can use search facilities of electronic sources to access and retrieve information, recognising the importance this has in my place of learning, at home and in the workplace. TCH 2-03b.

(Scottish Government, 2008).

Games-based learning has the most transformational impact when combined with good learning and teaching (Bray, 2012).  This is true when you consider the numerous E’s & O’s that could be achieved when delivering lessons which grew from playing a game.

On reflection, I can see the benefits of MineCraft in greater detail, the graphics allow for easy creation of objects which slot together without awkward lines or edges.  My thoughts about the game are summed up beautifully by the words of a 10-year-old school pupil who taught this mature student a lot today, “I love it, it’s like Lego, except you never run out of bricks” (Miss C, 2018).

References:

Beauchamp, G (2017) Computing and ICT in the Primary School From Pedagogy to Practice 2nd ed. London: Routledge.

Bray, O (2012) Playful Learning: Computer Games in Education (Online) available https://www.slideshare.net/Microsofteduk/playful-learning-computer-games-in-education/2-the_microsoft_visual_identity_the [Accessed 13 March 2018].

Miss C (2018) Identity concealed for confidentiality reasons.

Master G (2018) Identity concealed for confidentiality reasons.

Scottish Government (2008) The Curriculum for Excellence [Online] http://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf   [Accessed 13 March 2018]

Scottish Government (2017) Wellbeing (Online)  http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Young-People/gettingitright/wellbeing [Accessed 13 March 2018].

Images from Pixabay (Online) http://www.pixabay.com [Accessed 13 March 2018].