ErlandBellUWS

Games-Based learning.

The focus of the learning this week in the Digital Technology tutorial was games-based learning, which is “the integration of gaming into learning experiences to increase engagement and motivation” (Higher Education Academy, 2017).

Games based learning is challenging, engaging, creative and fun.  Children engaging with games-based learning are utilising their social skills, developing their communications skills and using their imagination.  All the while it could be suggested that they are not even aware that they are learning… play is a crucial part of cognitive development as children grow. (Higher Education Academy, 2017).

Through the course of the Digital Technology Module there have been references to games-based learning and discussion surrounding the use of MineCraft.  In a previous blog I have mentioned that MineCraft could be useful for children with Additional Support Needs (ASN) to engage with learning.  I had also considered the use of Wii Sports as a relevant game which could be used to assist children to engage with a physical lifestyle.  I admit I was a little taken aback when the focus of the lesson was to be around the Super Mario games Series (specifically Super Mario Kart).

Tasked with designing a Kart and Character I was a little apprehensive as my drawing skills are not to the fore.  When my design turned out to look like a poorly drawn Mini-Convertible with Pizza’s (badly drawn) for wheels, I have to admit, I did not see where I would go from there and how I would then work with my group and plan an Interdisciplinary Learning Experience (IDL) with this as my inspiration!  I could not have been more wrong, and as the ideas for the IDL came together, we had to stop ourselves from allowing it to get out of control.

Using the Pizza wheels as inspiration an IDL was planned.  The Curriculum for Excellence sets out Experiences and Outcomes (E’s & O’s) that should be delivered, and the Mathematic outcome used for our activity was:

Through taking part in practical activities including use of pictorial representations, I can demonstrate my understanding of simple fractions which are equivalent.  MTH 1-07c (Scottish Government, 2008).

Activity for the outcome would be completing words problems that would result in answers in fractions.  For example:  After the race, the wheels were shared out by the team, there were 8 people on the team, how many slices of pizza will each person get?

Another activity which would deliver a good variety of E’s & O’s would be to work towards making pizza.  The activity would include researching a recipe for making pizza dough.  Method for making it and method for preparing a pizza.  Discussions around the wording such as Ounces/Grams and Celsius/Fahrenheit.   (As the group discussed this idea we realised that as part of the pizza making we would be using weights and measures and that we may be covering further E’s & O’s).  The activity would also include experimenting with different flavours and toppings and would discuss foods as a national identity.  Once all the information was collated, mobile devices and eBooks would be used to create an instructional ‘How to make Pizza’ eBook.  This would be a multimodal eBook and could then be added to over time with other recipes.  This activity would be split into different lessons and as it was delivered it would meet the following E’s & O’s.

I can present in my writing in a way that will make it legible and attractive for my reader combining words, images and other features.  LIT1-24a.

I enjoy eating a diversity of foods n a range of social situations.  HWB1-29a.

I experience and sense of enjoyment and achievement when preparing simple healthy food and drinks.  HWB1-30b.

I can access, retrieve and use information from electronic sources to support, enrich or extend learning in different contexts. TCH 1-03b.

(Scottish Government, 2008)

One of the benefits of the games-based learning approach is that is encourages group work and allows a child to develop communication skills, talking in groups, listening and teamwork.  The Scottish Government sets out eight indicators of wellbeing which are commonly referred to by the acronym their initials make, SHANARRI.  Children are considered ‘Responsible’ if they have opportunities and encouragement to engage in play (Scottish Government, 2017).

The lesson plan surrounding making a pizza would result in a child ‘Achieving’ – being supported and guided in learning and in the development of skills (Scottish Government, 2017).  Furthermore, making pizza and encouraging healthy toppings would see the child considered ‘Healthy’ – access to suitable healthcare and support in learning to make healthy, safe choices (Scottish Government, 2017).

“Games… have become more demanding, often challenging players to solve complex problems” (Jones & Hafner, 2012).  However, children may not even realise they are learning (Higher Education Academy, 2018).  Some critics suggest that games are corruptive, addictive and a waste of time (Jones & Hafner, 2012) however, whilst our lesson plan was around games-based learning, it must be said that in the workshop we did not actually play the game.  With this in mind, it could be suggested that the benefits are greater than a risk of corruption or addiction.  Furthermore, the choice of game would be appropriate for an age group and would not promote violence or anti-social behaviours.  Actual game playing should be included to ensure children fully engage with the activities however it would not be necessary to include game playing as part of every activity.

References:

Higher Education Academy (Online) https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/knowledge-hub/gamification-and-games-based-learning [Accessed 12March 2018]

Jones, R and Hafner, A, (2012) Understanding Digital Literacies, A Practical Introduction Abingdon.  Routledge.

Scottish Government (2017) Wellbeing (Online)  http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Young-People/gettingitright/wellbeing [Accessed 12 March 2018)

Scottish Government (2008) The Curriculum for Excellence [Online] http://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf [Accessed 012 March 2018]