ErlandBellUWS

Integrating Technology into Outdoor Learning.

The PicCollage Application (App) and a Quick Response (QR) Code and reader App are a fun way to integrate digital technology into learning. It is suggested that six-year-olds have the same level of understanding technology as a 45-year-old (Curtis 2014) so integration of technology is something that children can fully engage with.

“The core values of Curriculum for Excellence resonate with long-standing key concepts of outdoor learning. Challenge, enjoyment, relevance, depth, development of the whole person and an adventurous approach to learning are at the core of outdoor pedagogy” (Scottish Government, 2010).

The Scottish Government Health and Wellbeing indicators of wellbeing promote that children should also achieve indicators to promote physical and emotional wellbeing (Scottish Government, 2017) and the inclusion of outdoor learning into helps educators achieve the specified indicators. Asking a learner to be responsible for an i-pad provides them with a sense of “responsibility” (Scottish Government, 2017) and can also ensure that they are “included” (Scottish Government, 2017) by the other children. Being outdoors is an opportunity “for staff and students to see each other in a different light” (Scottish Government, 2010). Furthermore, outdoor learning should not be restricted to learning about outdoors, rather should be used to compliment a variety of lessons. It is a valuable part of an Inter-disciplinary lesson (IDL).

A QR Code and Reader App is an easy way to set up an outdoor lesson. Pic Collage works well to compliment the lesson and to create an eye-catching memory that can be shared within the school.

From a learning perspective, I found PicCollage easy to use and saw the value of it immediately. Tasked with creating a collage about any subject it was simple to use and easy to get a final product. Myself and my working partner decided to do a collage suggesting the options for travel to the University of West of Scotland (UWS) campus. A picture of the footpath (UWS Campus is located next to the River Ayr, so this is an attractive setting), the bus stop, a car in the car park and Ayr Train station. The photos were sorted by the App and were entitled “Travel options”. This task, allowed me to see the benefits of the App from a teaching perspective; it is easy to use and produces attractive images therefore one can see the benefits of the App and understand why it would compliment any outdoor learning.

The QR reader app is easy to programme and produces QR codes automatically when information is input in to the App. Even though the learning was outdoors, the subject of the learning did not have to be about outdoors. This was demonstrated to the students by lecturer, Graham Brett, who had arranged for us to explore the grounds around the UWS campus whilst we searched for QR codes to scan and reveal answers about Scotland.

Creating a QR based quiz as part of a team of four met the following outcomes from the Curriculum for Excellence:

• Through taking part in a variety of events and activities, I am learning to recognise my own skills and abilities as well as those of others. HWB 1-19a.
  • I can communicate clearly when engaging with others within and beyond my place of learning, using selected resources4 as required. LIT 1-10a B 1-23a.
  • I can read and demonstrate understanding of words, signs, phrases and simple texts containing mainly familiar language. MLAN 2-08b.

(Scottish Government, 2008).

This was done by creating a series of questions considering how to say words on Spanish. The answers were built into a series of QR codes. The codes were to be displayed/hidden within a space outdoors. When learners find the codes, each would be scanned and the correct answer would reveal a letter. Collect all the letters and work out the secret word. The game encourages a deeper understanding of words that have been learned and also makes the learning fun. Having the game outdoors has the advantage of complementing the academic side with other benefits such as: encouraging a healthy lifestyle, development of communication skills, encouraging working with others and can make children feel more included.

The workshop marked the end of the module and it is time to reflect on my experience and review my own confidence in using technology as an educator. Going forward I will actively look for opportunities to integrate digital literacy and use of the programmes and devices that have been explored as part of the module in my teaching and lesson planning. My confidence has grown and I ca only see a positive impact should devices and Apps be introduced and managed appropriately within a classroom environment. As the module ends, I have been able to review my current confidence levels compared with how I felt about certain programmes and devices at the start of the module. There has been a marked increase in every category.

References:

Curtis, S (2014) Digital learning; how technology is reshaping teaching (online) Telegraph [online] Available: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11051228/Digital-learning-how-technology-is-reshaping-teaching.html [Accessed 21 March 2018].

Scottish Government (2017) Wellbeing (Online) http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Young-People/gettingitright/wellbeing [Accessed 21 March 2018].

Scottish Government (2010) The Curriculum for Excellence Through Outdoor Learning (Online) https://education.gov.scot/Documents/cfe-through-outdoor-learning.pdf [Accessed 21 March 2018].

Scottish Government (2008) The Curriculum for Excellence [Online] http://www.education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf [Accessed 21 March 2018].