Activities for unit 1 Personal and Interpersonal Skills and Abilities

Activity 1

• Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities 1 2 3
Team Work     *
Flexibility   *  
Take Risks *    
Listen to Others     *
Act as a leader     *
Organisation   *  
Problem Solving     *

Activity 2

• Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How I will use these How do I know (evidence)**
Teamwork I will need to use teamwork both at university and in my future workplace. Team work is a skill needed in order to cooperate with others to complete tasks such as the Working Together project. In schools, it is important to work collaboratively with other staff and members in a child’s life to make sure they have a good overall education experience. I know I have practised team work thanks to the entire Working Together module. It has taught me how to work well with other people in order to produce an effective result.
Listen to others It is vital to listen to others in all aspects of education. As a future teacher, I need to be able listen to my pupils and colleagues in order to know what will benefit them and how to help them progress within their learning. In lectures, I need to listen in order to take in and learn new information. University has provided plenty of opportunities to work on my listening skills through lectures, tutorials and working with others in order to share knowledge and skills i.e. Working Together project, library group study sessions.
Act as a Leader It is important to show leadership qualities in order to take control of a classroom. I will also be able to use these skills in groups and clubs in order to present new and informative opportunities for myself. Within group work I have nominated myself for tasks in order to take lead on aspects of certain projects i.e. Scribe on AIM project visit. Also, in school I practised these qualities as I was part of the senior leadership team.
Problem solving I will need to be able to problem solve effectively in order to deal with any issues that arise both within the future workplace and regarding university work. When tackling difficult tasks, problem solving skills are necessary to find a solution and complete the work. In Philosophy, the work is often hard to interpret and requires us to build an opinion based on our own interpretation. This has given me practise in solving my way through difficult work and any problems I may have regarding these translations.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How I will develop these How do I know (evidence) **
Take risks I tend to stick to what I know, a creature of habit somewhat. I need to step outside my comfort zone and take risks in order to push myself to do well and learn new things. I will know I have progressed if I can gain new skills. In philosophy, I can choose essay questions I may have originally avoided in order to gain more depth in my knowledge of said subjects.
Flexibility I can learn to be more flexible by keeping an open mind to other people’s situations and ideas to better understand them. This will help us work together better. If my groups manage to adapt to each other and work better as a result of this I will know I have effectively practised working on my flexibility.
Organisation I can develop my organisation skills by structuring my notes well for revision. I can also arrange a study schedule that incorporates assignment deadlines in order to work effectively to achieve my goals within the given timeframe. My revision should improve if I organise well enough helping further me in my education. If I manage to achieve set goals and meet my deadlines for work this will be good evidence that I have organised well.