Discovering Mathematics- My helping hand in tutoring

This module has taught me so much valuable information regarding the subject of mathematics. From Artistic to logistical, my mathematics knowledge has expanded massively as a result of the module. However, for me there was an extra bonus side effect that has been completely fantastic. The skills I have developed as a result of participating in ‘Discovering mathematics’ have helped me become a better tutor, something I do after university twice a week.

I currently tutor two pupils, one a Primary 7 and the other a 1st year in high school. Both focus on mathematics in our sessions as it is a point of difficulty. As a teaching student, I have had placement in a primary 4 class meaning my focus regarding the subject so far has been rather simple i.e. looking at the basic principles of mathematics. This meant that for the first time since I was in their position, I would be practicing upper school mathematics. Originally the thought did not worry me, I mean I studied higher maths, I used to love the subject so shouldn’t be too difficult right? WRONG! teaching more difficult mathematical processes to those inexperienced with them is actually quite a challenge.

I then set out to find a more efficient way of teaching the subject so my tutoring would be successful. I want the best for those I tutor so I need to be committed 100%. That is where my ‘ Discovering Mathematics’ module came in handy. Through several engaging sessions, I realized that the key to teaching harder maths is to in fact break it down into the basic principles that lay at it’s foundations. Liping Ma (1999) highlighted this as being one of the four main factors within fundamental mathematics and I can honestly say that it makes a difference when it comes to teaching pupils. So, I began to start where anything really should, at the beginning. I slowly built up the knowledge of the subject, starting from simpler maths and by the time we reached the topics that initially were difficult, their understanding has solidified and they could complete the work to a higher standard.

For example, one of my tutor pupils struggled with chunking, a practice used to break down long division. Now, long division is a subject many dislike, myself included so i approached my tutor Richard to seek out some advice. He discussed some ideas with me but all the information led back to one concept- start from the basic principles and work up to the challenge. Following this conversation, I planned some activities that involved the breaking down of numbers. We used Lego blocks to visual represent factors within numbers i.e. Long blocks with 8 circles represent 8’s, 4 is 4 and so on. This was a very active and engaging activity that was massively enjoyed by both my student and I. We then progressively moved on and now their chunking practice has improved greatly.

I feel that my experience in tutoring paired with my learning in this module has shown me something hugely important. I feel that i have developed my own PUFM (Profound Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics) after putting it’s principles into my own personal and professional practice. Being a mathematics tutor has given me the opportunity to use the knowledge I have learned in this module and so far it has been a truly worthwhile experience.