Maths and the Expressive Arts – Part 2

After the workshop about maths and creative art, one that I enjoyed massively, we were treated to another workshop based on maths and expressive art. Our next creative workshop was centered on maths in relation to music, something I was not aware had such a strong and vital link. I have to admit, music is not one of my strengths. It is something I am apprehensive about both teaching and participating in. However, I went into the workshop with an open mind and a sense of excitement at trying something new.

We began the workshop by stripping music down to the basics, quite like we have been doing in the ‘Discovering Mathematics’ workshop in relation to Liping Ma’s (1999) idea of having a ‘Profound Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics’ (PUFM). We began by looking at beats in a bar and how all music is composed of a number of sounds in an almost mathematical sequence. As a group we created different beat patterns in order to make a whole class rhythm. In all honesty I do feel that I was slightly off with my drum beats but it was all in good spirit. It was an activity I could picture doing with a class of my own one day and enjoying, something I never thought I would say in relation to teaching music.

We also learned lots about maths in the sense of sequences in music. We played percussion instruments such as drums and xylophones to play sequences of notes and the underlying mathematical properties were evident. There were a certain number of notes to be played in a specific order to create music, something so clearly mathematical but with beautiful results. For me, the two hour session we took part in flew in as I was having such a good time. I laughed, I struggled but more importantly I learned. I learned that fundamental maths is at the root of music and that the two curricular subjects can be taught together to create a more enjoyable and worthwhile learning experience for children. Since the input, I have had so many ideas running through my mind of how to link the two subjects together and I have realized that it can be done in subtle and easy ways like shown in the following video-

Overall, this was another fantastic session of maths in relation to the expressive arts. I have said this before but once again I am fascinated by how the two can be taught together. As someone, with a slight aversion to certain artistic subjects and who struggles a little in this area, it is truly eye opening to realize that anyone can participate in these activities. Teaching the two subjects together has the benefit of both aiding children in mathematical and creative learning so a multitude of skills and useful experience can be gained through this form of teaching. I look forward to seeing what else this module has in store for us and to find out more new and exciting ways that I can teach maths to pupils in the future!

References-

Ma, L. (1999). Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers’ Understanding of Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United States. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.