‘Stand and Deliver’ – Mathematics Films

Inspired by the introduction of Discovering Mathematics I felt intrigued to watch the film which was suggested for TDT number 1.  I enjoy watching films for leisure but also having a reason to watch this film and take some notes during it made me enjoy it even more.  Stand and Deliver looks at the journey a very determined teacher who teaches a class with lower ability Calculus (an advanced level of mathematics using lots of different formulas).

At the beginning of the film, the class were disrespectful towards the new teacher as they tested his boundaries and methods.  I found it very interesting how Jaime Escalante didn’t put up with any poor behaviour and gained the respect of his class very quickly.

The simple examples which he started with such as visuals bringing in apples and cutting them at the front of the class captured the attention of the students.

Notes which I observed from the film:

1. Explaining positive and negative numbers by using the beach and digging a hole – actually allowing the students to visualise how numbers work and not just the answer
  2. Using repetition – e.g. negative x negative = a positive – the whole class repeated this after him many times, this could help store different methods in their memory. At the end of the repetition, he then asked the question WHY? This is showing that there is a reason for calculations.
  3. Escalante was very encouraging and wouldn’t settle for second best – ensuring his pupils felt valued
  4. Very determined teacher and not willing to give up but fight for his classes rights even though his health was suffering.
  5. Built up a professional but also a personal relationship with his class and took interest in all  his pupils.

The overall message which I got from this film was as a teacher it is crucial to build up a solid relationship with the class and show that you are working hard for and with them.  It is also important to make math’s real life so the class can visualise what you are trying to teach which they may not get with examples in a text book.

This video shows the repetition of the class and teacher: