TDT Health and Wellbeing Relationships

With watching the videos suggested in the Health and Wellbeing lecture, it has been brought to my attention that babies are born prematurely in their development, unlike other mammals and animals. This is due to the vaginal canal being too narrow to give birth to a fully formed head.  As the baby is brought up, many different factors can affect and influence its development. Unfortunately, every child may not have a significant person in their life who they can trust and rely on to make a safe and nurturing environment at home.  This is where teachers and other adults can become the significant other who they can trust and feel safe around. It is essential in the role of a primary and nursery practitioner to be caring, nurturing and understanding.

Not one family is the same and the ‘Ideal’ family with a mum, dad and children is not the general norm nowadays.  This does not mean that a single parent cannot raise their child the same as an ‘ideal family’ or step parent family. The problems start to occur when there is violence and potentially domestic violence in the families which can affect the babies, toddlers and children’s development.  Suzanne Zeedyk, a lecturer in phycology at Dundee University explains how there is a stress hormone which may be over produced in the brain if violence is present in their home setting.  This can create a barrier in children’s minds where they are setting up barriers to protect themselves in other settings. This can be apparent if a child is coming into school and is not able to concentrate or sit still as they are not used to the calm and reassuring atmosphere which a classroom should have.

Interestingly, I was not aware of the science behind this and it has broadened my thinking to behavioural management and techniques which may work with some children and not with others.  An example of this is shouting in the classroom.  If the teacher is shouting at the children, they may be used to this at home and put up their barriers and not feel safe with this teacher.  After a lecture in voice control in the classroom, it is clear that the teacher should not be shouting in the class and vary their voice according to the situation.  Shouting can be a signal for the children to turn off and not actually listen to any of the instructions from the teacher resulting in no response and a teacher with a sore voice.  An authoritative voice tone is appropriate if the children are not responding but this is developed through practice and on the job training.  It is also shown that even just smiling can create a safe atmosphere in your classroom. Happy teacher, Happy Class!

Overall, I am very interested in this theory and will definitely make me think deeper.  Relationships between the class and class teacher are essential and the more positive the better. Allowing time for all children and ensuring they all feel safe in the school environment will be an essential job for me as a training professional teacher and eventually in the role with my own class.