Beating that “Can’t do it….” attitude.

Mathematics is a subject that is often a source of anxiety for both teachers and pupils. (Haylock, D. & Manning, R 2014 PP.5-11).  Haylock (2014 PP.5-11) describes the many reasons we are often anxious about mathematics which includes poor teaching methods, a fear of failure, how our parents feel about mathematics and how siblings have performed in the subject. How the classroom teacher feels about mathematics also plays a very important role in their pupils’ attitudes towards learning the subject.  It is essential that teachers can comprehend what they are teaching in the classroom so that they can explain it confidently and clearly.

In primary school I was taught how to work independently and problem solve using basic mathematical skills.  I enjoyed the predictability and logical nature of maths.  There was no sense that it was al down to your own interpretation I experienced in literacy and expressive arts.  I can pin point the exact moment I developed mathematical anxiety.  I moved  to a new school 100 miles away.  The way of teaching was completely different.  Everything was explained in a workbook.  There was an exact way of doing it.  In this particular school they used wooden tens and units cubes.  My peers three years of experience using these.  I had never used them before.  I had to use them because that was how the the workbook explained the task.  I could not grasp  these strange little wooden pieces at all.  From that point on I always felt inferior.

In secondary school we were introduced to algebra.  Finally I could let my creativity loose and I began to gain more confidence.  The more I enjoyed  it, the more confidence I gained.  As my confidence increased I found that I was actually really good at Maths.  I was in the top class and my teachers predicted I would do well in my exams.  Unfortunately I had to deal with the mental maths pop quiz at the start of every lesson.  This slowly began to lower my confidence to the point where I would go bright red and freeze, unable to answer the question.  I failed the assessment at the end of the year and was placed in a general foundation level class.  This class was full of pupils who felt destined to fail, telling themselves exactly that.  In my 14 year old mind I was no good at maths so why even bother to try.

I returned to maths as an adult and my tutor was fantastic.  A former primary school teacher now teaching an adult evening class she recognised my anxiety immediately.  I should have gained an intermediate level 2 grade in 2 years full time at secondary school.  Instead I gained it in one year attending classes 2 hours a week.  The most important thing is I began to enjoy it.  I remembered why I loved maths at primary school.  With my rediscovered confidence, my mathematical skills improved.  I no longer passed my tax return over to my husband every January.  I confidently helped both my children with their homework rather than telling them “Ask Dad when he comes home.” It changed my way of thinking and living completely.

Not only should teachers be confident in the subject area, teachers should have the ability to explain why it is important and relevant (Haylock & Manning, 2014, PP13-18).  Classroom discussions around the use of mathematical skills at home and in employment, are an important part of any lesson (Haylock & Manning, 2014, P14).  Mathematical skills are essential in society today.  The global economy is very competitive and it is important for Scotland’s future that our citizens have high levels of numeracy skills and mathematical thinking skills.  Areas such as science, engineering, business and technology are heavily dependent upon mathematics and for Scotland to prosper and grow, it is essential schools encourage children to develop a positive interest in mathematics (Scottish Executive, 2006).

I know that by gaining confidence, my skills have improved.  I have been engaging with the National On-line Maths Assessment to sustain and develop these skills.  This has proven to be not just beneficial to me but for my own children also.  I do not want them thinking “Mummy is bad at maths so I am too” which according to Haylock (2014 PP.5-11)  is a very common misconception.  As previously discussed, it is essential for me as a teacher to be confident and knowledgeable i what I am teaching.  Not only does it set a positive example to the pupils, it allows me to differentiate and explain things in various ways.  I developed mathematics anxiety because my school only taught maths in a particular way that did not work for me.  I hope that I can ensure I meet the needs of every child to prevent this happening.