Week 2, Bee-Bots and what-nots!

“If we plan to enrich preschool learning by the use of digital technologies, we may consider programmable toys also from another point of view. Digital technologies spread into many kindergartens nowadays and there is a widespread belief among educators and parents that children will require technological competencies to succeed in the workplace” (Janka, P. 2008).

This weeks class involved the introduction of the programmable toy Bee-Bot, which is a foreign object to me! Having done some reading previous to coming to class, and also quizzing my son about it! I had some knowledge of its positive attributes and enhancement capabilities in the classroom and early years setting.

It is clear that the Bee-Bot can aid many activities for young children. It can be an introduction to technology and help children to learn about control and demands. The use of possible unknown language such as: forward, left, right, back- also contributes to their language knowledge.   The Bee-Bot appears to be a very versatile and engaging piece of technology, and having the opportunity to design my own mat and activity was very exciting. The trouble I had however, was trying to choose just one! Which further proves the Bee-Bots never-ending list of possibilities across the curriculum.

“One big bonus is that no number recognition is needed. Younger children, who did not know their numbers were able to use the Bee-Bot.” (Lydon, A. 2008).

This shows that this device can be used for children with different abilities, and allows inclusion for all young people interacting with it. I feel this is vital in an activity, having witnessed whilst on my placement the vast range of abilities in the classroom.

I decided to focus my activity on health and wellbeing. This area seems to be always at the basis of all of my thoughts, as I feel very strongly about how important this is for young children. It is vital for children to be able to recognise their own feelings/emotions, as well as being able to identify them in other people. I choose to use the emoji face as a representation of the emotion/feeling, I did this because I think most children would recognise these icons and identify them well. In my activity I would make sure the children understand what emotion/feeling the icon depicts and talk about the language surrounding them. I could ask the children to describe to me what feeling the icon is portraying, and why they possibly feel this way.

I feel that this could be used and executed in many ways, I could also have images of people the children could talk to if they feel a certain way, or places the children could go to depending on their feelings. For example: Talking to a teacher, a caregiver, a friend, a sibling. Or going to the medical room or approaching someone they trust if they feel unwell or unsafe. I could create a scenario and ask the children how it would make them/others feel, for example, if someone was unkind to them in the playground or didn’t share, etc.

I also think this activity could work alongside other areas of the curriculum: in a reading session to identify how characters in a story were feeling and why, or to get an understanding of the pupils feelings towards a certain area of the curriculum. This activity could also be useful for children who are non-verbal to communicate their feelings and needs, it also could take the pressure away from talking out loud. It doesn’t need to be used as a group activity, one to one with a child who you feel may be experiencing any issues could maybe feel at ease using this as a means of expression.

I feel that the experiences and outcomes gained from this activity would be the following:

• I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them. (HWB 0-01a / HWB 1-01a)

• I can explore digital technologies and use what I learn to solve problems and share ideas and thoughts. (TCH 0-01a)

• I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. (TCH 1-01a)

(Education Scotland. (n.d.)

There are many positives about the use of technologies in the classroom, however, I feel that the teacher must have the confidence and knowledge to be able to use the device effectively and to its full potential. I have visions of myself in a teaching role, with a pupil portraying more confidence and knowledge than I do about an area digitally enabled. This is why i have choose this option, I want to be confident and able to teach well and effectively, offering boundless opportunities to children across all ability levels and areas of the curriculum.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience planning and designing this activity with the Bee-Bot, with the childrens possible learning experiences at the foremost of my thoughts. I feel that the Bee-Bot is an excellent way to introduce young children to programmable toys and to enhance various areas of the curriculum. I think that it has the capabilities to turn a maybe unfavoured activity into an exciting and interactive one, giving children the experience of communicating and engaging as an inclusive learning opportunity.

References:

• Education Scotland. (n.d.) Curriculum for Excellence.[Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/All-experiencesoutcomes18.pdf [Accessed: 10 January 2019]
  • Janka, P. (2008) Using a Programmable Toy at Preschool Age: Why and How?[Online] Available: http://www.terecop.eu/downloads/simbar2008/pekarova.pdf[Accessed: 10 January 2019]
  • Lydon, A. ( 2007) Let’s Go With Bee-Bot: Using your Bee-Bot across the curriculum. TTS Group Ltd.