Week 8. Animation: part 2.

“Stop-motion animation started at the beginning of the last century with the arrival of film, but it really came of age with the arrival of video & computers. Before that you didn’t know how your animation was looking until it came back from the developers, and if something was wrong, your only option was to shoot the whole thing again. But now, with video & computers to assist, we can be absolutely sure of what we are creating, as we create it.” (Moving Image Education, 2016)

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the class today due to my Daughter being unwell.

However, as I was present in last weeks class, I still felt involved with the task that my group had continued with in my absence. I was kept up to date with messages in our group chat of the progress and final product. Our group were focusing on using animation to portray a Tsunami. Our group used Lego figures and hand crafted material to help visualise the effects of a tsunami. Our group decided to use an app called Stikbot, a member of our group had experience with it before and felt it would be better suited the our task. I feel that my group did an excellent job with their animation and I can imagine this being done with children, creating a fun and enhancing learning experience. Although I do feel it would be very time consuming, therefore would need to be a continuous activity.

•  By exploring climate zones around the world, I can compare and describe how climate affects living things. SOC 1-12a
  •  I can describe the physical processes of a natural disaster and discuss its impact on people and the landscape. SOC 2-07b

It is evident that the use on animation in the classroom can bring so much more to an activity. It gives children the opportunity to be creative and face challenges. I feel that children would really engage in this as it is a means of getting results quickly and visually seeing progress right in front of their eyes. It allows children to work collaboratively and communicate with each other about the task. The use of animation and ICT as a whole gives children the relief of being able to fix mistakes quickly and move on without many problems. The use of digital technology can help diminish insecurities within children, particularly those whom experience learning difficulties or with challenging behaviours.

Once again it comes to light the importance of teachers feeling confident in their ability to use digital technologies. I can sympathise with this massively as I do not have great experience in all things technology based.

“Although teachers may be worried by new technologies…we need to be sure that this is not transmitted to young children” (Beauchamp, 2012. P.66) 

I understand the importance of this statement by Beauchamp, but I also realise the difficulties that teachers must face daily in the classroom, particularly those who have been in the profession for many years, and those who have had inadequate training in that department. I feel that if the government wants to drive the vast implementation of technology in schools, then teachers must be given the time to be trained so they feel confident and are able to use these technologies to the best of their ability.

• Movingimageeducation. [Online] Available: https://movingimageeducation.org/create-films/animation [Accessed: 16 March 2019]
  • Education Scotland. (n.d.) Curriculum for Excellence.[Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/All-experiencesoutcomes18.pdf [Accessed: 16 March 2019]