Gender – My Experience

Upon first read of the question ‘how did your gender affect you as a child?’, I had no idea what to write because I didn’t think it had any affect on me at primary school. However, after reflecting on my experience, I’ve come to the realisation that actually it did, I’d just never noticed.

At my primary school, the girls played in the netball team and the boys played in the football team, it was just the way it was. I never once questioned it till now as I would never have chosen to play football in the first place but had I wanted to, I wouldn’t have been able to and vice versa for the boys. Furthermore, if a teacher ever needed help with moving a table for example, they would ask for “two strong boys” as if a girl wouldn’t be able to do it and it’s assumed the boy is stronger or more able.

Additionally, I’ve now realised that all the sport teachers were male and all the art teachers were female. For all 7 years I attended primary school, there was never a male teacher, they were all female. For a while there was a male janitor and at one point a male head teacher but that was it. I can’t say whether this had an affect on me or not but for all I know it could have.

When discussing this question with peers, many said that the boys in their class got in trouble more often than the girls even for the same behaviour. Personally, I can’t remember if this was the case in my school. I do know, however, that it’s a common assumption that boys are better behaved than girls. In my opinion, this stereotype could affect their behaviour and subsequently have an impact on their learning, in a good or a bad way. Some teachers may not even realise that they’re treating the girls differently from the boys as it’s an automatic behaviour but in doing so could affect many children’s behaviour as it is presumed from the first day.