My maths journey

When I look back at my own experience with maths, it was always a relatively good experience for me. As throughout Primary School I always looked forward to it as it was the one thing which I was in ‘top set’ for and was the child who would always be finished first. When I got to high school my experience with maths changed completely as I was not getting the same amount of support which I got in Primary school and this ended up with me beginning to really struggle and eventually hating maths until my fifth year of high school when the teachers which I had gave me the support which I needed and I began to enjoy maths again.

As a future teacher I believe it is really important to ensure that every child needs are met at all times but when it comes to maths teach it in different ways as if someone is not understanding it, it could just be the way which it is being taught as maths is a language used world wide. Maths is something which is the same everywhere and fundamental to everyday life. It is extremely important that every child can use maths and not ‘dread’ it.