Hillington Primary School

ACHIEVING NURTURING KIND SAFE

P5a Friday 22nd January 2021 – Literacy

Today in literacy, we are linking our writing to our class novel, The Butterfly Lion. Firstly, I would like you to write a list of arguments ‘for’ and ‘against’ Bertie’s family keeping the white lion cub. Then, decide what you think is the best decision, and write a persuasive letter to Bertie’s father either persuading him to keep the white lion cub or sell him to the circus. Bertie feels very strongly about his father selling the white lion to the circus, so he lets him go out in the wild, but I want you to think about what you think is the best decision and why. Think about the relationship Bertie has with the lion, how he makes him feel, where they live, the needs of the lion and what life in the circus could be like for him.

Remember, the features of persuasive writing are flattery, repetition, alliteration, exaggeration and the use of powerful, persuasive language. Some vocabulary/phrases you may wish to include are: surely, of course, I believe that, for this reason, and it is clear that. I have attached a persuasive writing word bank which you can use to help you with your writing.

Don’t forget to use paragraphs, correct punctuation and interesting vocabulary… as always! Good luck.

persuasive writing word bank