Celebrations! Ramadan and Eid πŸŒ™β­οΈ

Good morning everyone!

It has been really lovely getting to see you all this week as I’ve dropped off your learning packs. You (children and parents!) are all doing so well and it warmed my heart to see your happy smiling faces!

Ramadan is such a special time and I could feel the love radiating from your homes. I know so many of you are so looking forward to Eid so I wonder if today you could teach me a few things about your special celebration, I have recorded a video asking you some questions below:

If you do not celebrate Ramadan or Eid this would be a great time to learn all about the celebration, it is so important to learn about other people’s faiths and religions – remember, we are all different and being different is GREAT!:

• What does ‘fasting’ mean? Why do Muslims fast during Ramadan?
  • What do these words mean; Suhoor/Sehri, Iftar, Zakat?
  • Ramadan is the ninth month in the islamicΒ  Lunar calendar, but what is a lunar calendar based on?

Watch these videos about the Lunar cycle:

https://www.tigtagworld.co.uk/film/phases-of-the-moon-PRM00071/I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4ZHdzl6ZWg

• Ramadan starts when religious leaders tell everyone that they have seen a certain type of moon – Which moon is that?
  • What special things do you do with your family during the 3 day Eid celebrations?

Ask the adults in your family the questions to help you find out the answers and then ask them to help you type your answers into the comments box on the video.

Here is an interesting video all about a little boy called who shares his ideas of how to celebrate Ramdan with your family during the Corona Virus Lock Down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/23286976

Have a go at making your own Moon Binoculars to help you to keep an eye on the lunar cycle!

All you need is: 2 toilet roll tubes, some glue, some string, some clingfilm or plastic and some things to decorate!:

OR make a Crescent Moon card for a friend or family member!

Have a lovely Day!

Love Miss Bull

x

3 thoughts on “Celebrations! Ramadan and Eid πŸŒ™β­οΈ

1. Hi, hope you are well! I have asked my mum about those special words and what they mean…
    Sehri – this is when we have our initial meal
    (or something to eat) to begin our fast with. It is before the sun rises and is still dark outside which means it is pretty early in the morning. At the moment it is at 3ish AM πŸ™‚
    Iftar – this is the time we open our fast. Best part of our day as we get to eat all the yummy food mummy has been cooking! We open out fast after the sun sets which is around 9.30ish pm

2. Zakat – this is when we give to charity and help those less fortunate than us. It is made compulsary to every muslim to help the poor and needy (if they have the means to!)
    I give some of my pocket money to my mum to give to charity so we can help people.

3. Hey Hassan!

It’s Miss Kinloch here! Thanks so much for this information! I hope you’re having a lovely time preparing for Eid at the weekend. I’m missing your stories loads and can’t wait until I can see you again!
    xx