Vibrations and Waves CLPL

Hi everyone!
The focus of CLPL for the Falkirk RAiSE team this week is vibrations and waves with a particular focus on sound.
As always, there are resources saved on our Teams page which you are more than welcome to use/adapt/add to as you wish.

To join our STEM – RAiSE Falkirk Team type the code is188td

We hope you can join us on Friday 5th June 2020 at 10am for the Q+A session.

We would really appreciate your feedback.  Thank you!

Electricity CLPL

This weeks CLPL is on electricity.

I teach this as part of the engineering science curriculum using a mixture of software and breadboards.

It is a topic which I enjoy but always with an element of trepidation, will the kit work (blown bulbs, loose wires etc.), are the multimeters on the correct setting, will there be lost components?  Pupils amaze me every time finding a creative way for things to go wrong.  Last week however I started using the playdough circuits and I have never had so much fun!

There is so little to go wrong and the components are so cheap that if it breaks I could just use a different one.  The circuits are very flexible having their own glue so mounting circuits onto a project is easy.  There are no long wires to move about or cram into a small space.  This low tech option could be good for returning to school and providing small amounts of kit for experiments.  Have a look at the first level video and see what you think.

To highlight the good practice already going on in Falkirk W/C 11th May Mrs Jones from Carmuirs Primary School produced an excellent week long task on electricity for her P6 pupils using Wakelet.  This could be a useful approach for STEM during blended learning.  Check it out here.

The resources for all three levels for this topic are in the teams files as usual in the CLPL folder.  This week we’ve included possible novel studies which the topic of electricity could be covered as part of.

Any questions our padlet will be on teams and the Q and A will be on Friday the 29th May at 10am on teams.

We also really appreciate your feedback, if you could complete the microsoft form below we would be very grateful.

Forces CLPL

Welcome to this week’s Professional learning from RAiSE Falkirk!

The focus for this week is forces.  We have created videos of some possible learning experiences at Early, First and Second Level along with some resource ideas which may help you get started.  These resources are saved on the STEM RAiSE Falkirk Teams page.  Remember you can join using the code is188td.

Please feel free to explore, share and save resources you feel would be of benefit and if you can, we would love you to join us on Friday 22nd May at 10am for the live Q+A session on our Teams page.

Early Level Forces

First Level Forces

Second Level Forces

We would appreciate your feedback on this CLPL.  Please complete the microsoft form here:

Online mini CLPL Tools in School

Hello,

This week’s CLPL is on Tools in School. Below is the video for the course and the codes to access the resources.  I would like to introduce myself before we start.

I am Barbara Hanning one of the Primary STEM development officers (PSDO) for Falkirk Council.  My working days are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and I share this post with Laura McCafferty who works a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Prior to teaching I had qualified as a Product Design Engineer and I worked as a Production Engineer for a manufacturing company for 5 years.   I have been a Secondary Technical teacher, teaching Design and Manufacture, Engineering Science, Graphic Communication and Practical Woodwork for 10 years now.  In this time I have started and run a number of well attended and successful STEM clubs, organised Falkirk High Schools offering for STEM at the Helix and for a spell I was Acting Principal Teacher of Positive Destinations.  I was really pleased and excited to take up this post in January 2020.

I think my passion for STEM has come from my Parents.  When we went on family holidays there was always a saga.  The holiday where everything in the apartment was broken including the washing machine and the shower curtain was too short so the bathroom flooded.  My mum fixed the washing machine by removing a huge stone from the door seal and dad attached loops of string to the shower curtain to lower it.  The caravan holiday we booked off season and as a result no activities were running.   Dad made an obstacle course and a putting green from junk and our toys Mum taught us how to knit.  Now I think about it, this is why I place importance on the value of STEM skills. I feel they are valuable life skills, the ability to solve problems in different situations, the mind-set that a barrier to success is not permanent, that learning is a constant in life.  I feel very privileged now to be in a position now to help learners obtain these skills.

This week is my first online CLPL.  It is an introduction to the use of woodwork tools in school.  The idea is to set out what would be required to start using tools in school and demonstrate how easy it could be to achieve some simple projects.  The projects all contain the vital life skill of attaching things with screws.  You may have seen the pupil from Carronshore Primary School tweeting his success making a planter from the @littlelessons20 twitter tutorial https://twitter.com/Cpsmrsw/status/1257263741223211008

or the pupils from Victoria Primary School screw fixing objects to a fence to make a busy board.  https://twitter.com/MrMcLeodVPS/status/1256745038698209281 .

Perfect examples of what can be achieved with these skills and how these learners are being inspired to have an interest in STEM.

To participate in this CLPL, watch the video, have a look at the twitter links above, join our team and have a look at the ‘tools in school’ resources, I will post a padlet (online notepad) in the team discussion, please feel free to make comments on this to reflect on what you have seen. There will be a Q and A on this on Friday 15th May at 10am. Where we can discuss any reflections from the padlet and ask/answer any questions.

If you join the team with this code then you should gain access to the Q and A and all resources associated with this session.  I am working with PSDOs across Scotland to produce a video resource to demonstrate the best use of tools and this will be added to this drive once complete.  When we return to school and it is possible I would be more than willing to run staff training on tools so please get in touch about this.

Braes Cluster Twitter highlights

This weeks twitter highlights come from the Braes cluster:

Avonbridge Primary

Number Talks – 22.04.20 – FIRST level. Good morning, here is today’s number string – enjoy! #homelearning #numbertalks

Drumbowie Primary

A pop-up garden project has been set up by

@KSBScotland

for children and young people aged 3 – 18 years to design and grow a small garden at home with #YCW2020 being one of the themes. To find out more: http://go.visit.sc/eI3 #stayhome

California Primary

This is a lovely idea to keep our little ones brains active when you are out for your daily walk. Please share your photos on here or your child’s learning journal. Remember have lots of fun

#BeSafe #spring #outdoorlearning #earlymaths

Wallacestone Primary

Good morning

@2HMWPS

It’s Earth Day today! Why not try making a bug hotel with things you already have?

@wildlifewatch

has a great activity sheet to help you. #wpsfamily #EarthDay2020

https://wildlifewatch.org.uk/activity-sheets

Maddiston Primary

This #EarthDay, the @GoJetters

are doing their part in tackling Climate Change, Stream the episode on iPlayer

Braes High

Class 2/1 have been using their research skills to find out about Famous Astronomers.

#STEM #RRSA #Article29

Online Mini CLPL, STEM through Stories

Hi everyone!

My name is Laura McCafferty and I am one of Falkirk’s Primary STEM Development Officers (PSDOs).  My days for this role are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Barbara Hanning, who is the other PSDO, works a Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

I thought it might be helpful to share a little bit about me with you.  I have 13 years primary teaching experience.  I have taught all stages and have also been lucky enough to cover a maternity Support for Learning Teacher role providing me with an even deeper understanding of additional support needs.  I’ve had a wide range of leadership opportunities over the years including leading World of Work and Rights Respecting Schools.

At the end of the 2018/2019 session, I was successful in gaining the role of STEM lead within St. Margaret’s Primary School where I have been a member of staff for 7 years.  This meant I would be in class three days a week and out of class for two days each week developing STEM within our school setting.

My Headteacher asked me to set up three STEM hubs in our school for P1+2, P3,4+5 and P6+7.  Unfortunately, due to building works this was put on hold when we started back after summer until after the October holidays.  In the meantime, I researched and looked at the variety of ways to implement STEM in the classroom and discovered the idea of teaching STEM through stories.  I put together a range of folders for ages 5-7, 7-9 and 9-11 (all of which are shared on our Teams page) and decided to try out ‘The Iron Man’ with my own class.  You will see from the video and further resources shared the success of this.

When I was able to get into the STEM hubs, I thought carefully about what was required to allow children to have the best experience they could.  With support and advice from Gayle Duffus at Education Scotland, she introduced me to Emily Hunt’s ’15 Minute STEM’ book.  I looked at the 40 challenges and the resources required.  I related each activity to CfE Experiences and Outcomes for staff in order for them to make links between class and hub learning.  I then developed resources further by retyping the challenges without photos or information other than the challenge to encourage thinking and problem solving skills in the children.  The other information was made up to share with staff incase they wanted to take learning further.  Finally, I made up answer booklets to go with each of the challenges, some including tally charts, measuring, bar graphs etc… so a visit to the STEM hub has lots of meaning and develops a wide range of skills as well as learning experiences.  (All of these resources are also available for you to access and use on our Teams page)

I am absolutely loving my roles of PSDO and STEM lead and although I do not have a specialism in any of the aspects of STEM, I fully appreciate its value as a learning experience to raise attainment and achievement.  STEM learning does not have to be all whizz, pop, bang experiments and infact, I would imagine most of what you already do is STEM learning, you just don’t identify it as that…..yet!

I look forward to working with you and if you have any questions or would like some support, please do get in touch.  That’s what I’m here for and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed getting in to meet some of you already to help you on your STEM journey.

All resources associated with this CLPL can be found in this team. Once a member of this team you will be able to access the Q and A session on Thursday the 7th May from 10-10.30am.

Bo’ness Cluster STEM twitter highlights.

Each week we will highlight the excellent examples of STEM work happening in #FalkirkSTEMpire.  We will chose a different cluster each week to focus on.  This week Bo’ness cluster.  Great work folks!

Blackness Primary

Family Arch Challenge! Looking for something to do as a family when you’re stuck inside & driving each other mad?! Why not get creative with this challenge?! Can’t wait to see them! #BAarchchallenge  @Kinneil_PS @DeanburnPS @GrangePrimSch @BlacknessP @BonessPublic @stmarysboness

Grange Primary

Needing some inspiration for healthy, homemade snacks and meals for your family? Then, dip into these brilliant Cookalong Videos from

@Parentclubscot

and enjoy making: Pizza, Brilliant burgers, Spaghetti bolognese, Oaty Cookies

and lots more. https://parentclub.scot/articles/cookalong-videos

Deanburn Primary

Now this looks like fun! I know there are a lot of Deanburn Lego fans out there! Mrs C

Fans of Lego and Secret Codes will love this! Choose a Lego brick/piece to represent each letter of the alphabet then write a secret message for your friends and family to uncover #secretcode #literacy Tweet us your pictures

Bo’ness Public

If you’re looking for some fun learning activities to top up your day, @bbcbitesize may be able to help. Click the link below, choose your child’s age group and enjoy the daily activities

Looks like fun

#BBCBitesizeDaily on @BBCiPlayer and Red Button

http://bbc.in/BitesizeDaily Daily Lessons online for after

http://bbc.in/BitesizeDailyLessons… #HomeSchoolingUK

Kinneil Primary

Students using Glow in Scotland can use Minecraft Education Edition with load of learning covering STEM, Languages, History and Culture and Art. A fantastic opportunity for young people and parents to discover new ways of learning. Just use your glow details: username@glow.sch.uk

Bo’ness Academy

Banana muffins…. let’s see how they taste!

#fairtrade #StayHomeStaySafe #BananaDay

#FalkirkSTEMpire PPE dream team, inspire a generation?

You may be aware that PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) has become a big issue in the fight against coronavirus.  Our schools have been generously donating their time and materials to produce PPE and support our frontline staff.  We would like to highlight and celebrate the importance of their efforts.

Braes High School, Denny High School, Graeme High School, Grangemouth High School, Larbert High School and St Mungo’s High School have been working in partnership to design, manufacture and deliver visors and surgical mask bands.  These have been requested by local pharmacies, care homes, dentists, GP surgeries and Forth Valley ICU.

There is a Scotland wide effort by Secondary Technical Teachers to create these types of PPE.  Designs and tips for manufacture are being shared. The designs for the PPE have evolved throughout the weeks.

So many schools have joined the effort requests for PPE are being redirected to the schools manufacturing in the closest areas to the request.

Our teacher are working to produce what they can with the technology available to them.  Some are using 3D printers, creating designs which suit the size of their equipment, use the least material and take the shortest time to manufacture.  Some schools have had more success adapting designs and using their laser cutters to speed up the process and utilise different material which they have available.  Some schools are manufacturing by hand on technical workshop benches.

The requests are being directed to the schools best suited to fulfil the requests and great partnerships are being built.

All this is an undeniable demonstration of the value of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) skills.  Our teachers have not manufactured PPE before nor will they have manufactured or managed a project on such a mass scale.  However they have the ability to think systematically and visualise how one change or action will affect another.  They can adapt, learn about and improve their work as they go ensuring they continue to get to the most effective solution.  They find problems and are creative in solving these problems, nothing is a permanent barrier.  They are working across schools and managing the best way to get the best outcome.  It is these STEM skills we are trying to equip our pupils with to enable them to thrive in their future.  This is a link to a Skills Development Scotland video about skills 4.0.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjfM9LKBBhE  Have a look.

Massive congratulations to our teachers and supportive school environments for the epic amount of work completed so far.  Apart from the obvious difference they are making in providing vital PPE perhaps also they might inspire us to reflect on the importance of STEM skills and the potential impact they could have on our learners’ futures.