Pupil Voice – S1 So Far

So far in S1, it has been really exciting for me. Because of the induction program last year, it was easier for me for the first couple of weeks because I was already familiar with the building.

During the first week of S1, every class in S1 had a “buddy” who took them from class to class so we wouldn’t get lost or be late. This was extremely helpful for everyone, in my opinion, because it would be a lot harder to get all the work in if anyone got lost and would hold the rest of the class back.

Since joining the school, I feel like I have been welcomed and accepted in the school community. Since the start of term, I have gone to many events with the school, including the Mass to welcome the Icon of Jesus Our Teacher to the diocese on the first day of term and the Inaugural Mass.

One of the many amazing things about starting at a new school is all the new friends you can make. I have become good friends from my alpha and other classes and the reason for this is the fact that there is a mix of people here from Our Lady of the Missions, St Joseph’s and St Cadoc’s, and other schools around the area.

After school and at lunchtime, there are many clubs and places to go to. One of these places you can go is the library. I personally love the library and am always in there whenever it’s open, because of all the books that you can read, it gives you a chance to do your homework if you have clubs after school. There are many clubs available to everyone in S1, and the good thing about that is that there’s always something to do, like at lunchtime, there is the fitness suite, Netball club, Science club and Mandarin club to name a few. After school there are clubs, like Friday Club, Baking Club, Film club, Cheerleading and Trampolining. There will always be options for a club you can go to every day of the week after school and at lunch. Nearer the start of the year, there was the S1 disco, which a lot of people went to. This was a fantastic night and will hopefully happen again!

I only started 2 months ago but I already feel part of the school community and I am proud to be a part of this amazing school. I can’t wait for all the new challenges and all the exciting times that are ahead. I know that I am in a place where I can be the best version of myself.

Ava Hannah (1a4)

Good evening. My name is Bried McBride and I’m delighted to say that I’m a first year pupil here at St Ninian’s.  I’m delighted to say this because I think we would all agree that, guided by excellent Head Teacher Mr Docherty and our devoted year head Mr Fuchs, our first six weeks here has already been an amazing experience!

I’m sure I speak for every student in S1 , when I say there was definitely excitement in the air and there was worry in the mix as we prepared to come up for our first induction days. We loved our primaries so much that it hardly seemed possible that high school could be better – but it is!

In these few short weeks it’s been a case of opportunities, opportunities, and more opportunities!!

We’ve had so many interesting and engaging opportunities in all our new subjects with exciting new ways of learning.

We’ve had opportunities to develop our faith with morning Mass three days per week, Vocations Mass at St Mirin’s Cathedral, prayer breakfasts in the RE department and Eucharistic Adoration in the Oratory on a Friday at lunchtime, to name just a few.

We’ve had opportunities to develop our skills and meet new friends from other primary schools at one of the countless clubs which run at lunchtime and after school such as Public Speaking and Debate Club and S1 singers – there are just too many to mention.

And we’ve had the opportunity to have fun! In fact since we’re doing metaphor in English at the moment – our year has become one big colourful salad bowl, made up of all our different personalities , talents , interests and backgrounds… and the seasoning has been Mr Fuchs and our pastoral care teacher’s support and guidance.

I think we would all agree that the apprehension which we may have felt at the beginning is now long gone! We’re looking forward to spending the next six years learning and laughing together!

Bried McBride (1a1)

I’ve made it. It’s my last day of 6th year and what a journey. I’ve learned how to be part of a community. I’ve been part of teams. I’ve made mistakes and learned from them. My hard work and determination has paid off I’m off to university. I’ve had a fabulous end to my high school journey because of my wonderful start in first year.

It all began in my Primary 7 inductions where I was made to feel welcome and included. Fast forward the summer and the excitement and opportunities began.

Discovering new subjects like Geography, Home Economics, Design and Technology to name a few, opened my eyes to careers and skills I didn’t think possible. I couldn’t have attempted those tricky Maths questions or worked out how to use my homework diary without the help of my buddy. I also had a lot more responsibility. I had a timetable which I had to follow, which was new for all of us. I had to make sure that all my homework was done and handed in on time and that has taught me how to be organized, responsible and has taught me lifelong habits that I will take into the future.

There was so many fun after school clubs to join like trampolining club, fashion club, Friday club and a lot more. These clubs taught me so many skills that I have and will use in the future. These were also great ways to make new friends.

Thank you first year for giving me a great experience.

Bethany Patterson (1a2)

Hello everyone.  My name is Daniel Whyte and I am going to talk to you about my experience of S1 so far.

On my first day at High School, I was very excited but still a bit nervous.  However, after my first day I knew that the next 6 years were going to be great!  The teachers were so nice and were very welcoming.  I also loved moving from class to class because it was different and we get more teachers and we aren’t stuck with the same one all day.

The work in High School is much harder than Primary but it is also more interesting.  You learn new things every day and it is exciting taking on new challenges in Maths and Science.  Even P.E is a challenge!  I’m learning dancing!!

We’ve had to get to grips with a timetable and bringing the right books on the right days and not Monday’s books on a Tuesday after the September weekend.  Luckily my mum doesn’t trust me to organize myself just yet.  I will get there though!

As for homework, it has been ok so far but I understand that will change soon.

One of my favourite things about St Ninian’s is that there are lots of opportunities to join new clubs.  I have joined the Badminton, Squash, Debating and Public Speaking and the Friday club.  This has given me the chance to make new friends and try new things.

I have been enjoying starting the day by walking with my friends to school rather than taking the bus from Netherlee.  I may not be saying that in November though!

Finally, I have been trying to make Morning Mass on a Friday which is a great way to start the day.

So, so far so good!  It’s been fun; It’s been exciting; It’s been challenging and tiring at times but I’ve loved every minute.   Thanks for listening.

Daniel Whyte (1a4)

My first few months in high school have been the best months in my life. It has been great because, of the variety of new subjects such as home economics, music, geography and design and technology. Since joining S1 I have met lots of nice people and made new friends.

I have also been assigned a locker, which gives me responsibility for my school work, showing St Ninian’s treat me as a young adult. In St Ninian’s I feel safe as I have a pastoral support teacher, head of the year and many other teachers I know I can approach if anything is wrong. The S1 website has also been very useful to me for subject guidance. I use the website to pick up daily maths homework.

There is approximately 90 school clubs held during and after school. I attend a lot of the clubs myself such as gymnastics, cheer leading, dancing, keyboard and Friday club!

I feel so lucky to be a part of an amazing school.

Eva Drummond (1a1)

Hi I’m Orla McIlwham and I am going to be telling you about my first few months as an S1 pupil at St Ninian’s High School.

As you would expect the transition from primary one to S1 was a big change, for example, getting used to moving class every fifty minutes and making it to every class on time, getting used to making my way getting through the crowded corridors and just the school life in general.

Personally I have really enjoyed taking part in some of the extra-curricular clubs, for example, the gymnastics club, dance club and Friday club.  All of the clubs are great fun and something I look forward to enjoy and going to every week there are also many other things I enjoy in St Ninian’s.  Like all the different subjects we get to try that we did not do in primary school and also getting to work with new people including new teachers.  I also enjoy the independence that we get in St Ninian’s and also the responsibilities we have.

I have really enjoyed my time at St Ninian’s so far and feel I have had a great start.

Orla McIlwham (1a4)

I have really enjoyed my first few weeks of high school because everyone is very welcoming and reassuring and there are many people you can talk to if you are unsure about anything.

I would definitely say that you get a lot more independence and freedom and lots more interesting and fun subjects to do.  There are loads of clubs and sports to take part in.  I go to the dance club and the fitness suite is available regularly.

The teachers are very helpful and explain things very well and go out of their way to make you comfortable and happy.  I have made lots of new friends and met lots of new teachers and people to help me throughout the next six years.

I have loved high school so far and can’t wait for all the exciting challenges to come.

Meghan Burns (1a4)

With such a big change starting secondary school, it was only natural to have some nerves as the new term approached. But from day one St Ninian’s ensure, that you feel part of the school and give you every support.

Every day at St Ninian’s is different, with so many new subjects and new Teachers, who give you all the help needed to quickly settle into the new term. It’s a big difference from going to the same class for the whole day as in P7. With all the different subjects and classes, your day will go so quickly.

Before you know it, you will also start to meet new friends, not only in class but at the afterschool clubs. There are a lot of different clubs; so, you will have plenty of choice to find something that you like and it’s great to meet up with friends after school.

I haven’t looked back since starting St Ninian’s and I’m sure you won’t either.

Before you know it, Primary school will feel like a distant memory!

Orla Markey (1a2)

When I first came to St Ninian’s, I was really excited.  There were so many new subjects that I wanted to try that I didn’t do in primary school: Computing, Business, Geography and Drama.  I particularly enjoy Computing.  Since we have started we have a chance to discover what things we are good at and love.

I am desperate to try lots of subjects seeing as we will have to decide which ones we want to do at the end of first year.  I especially like Science because we do many kinds of experiments like: using Bunsen burners and investigating what the period of a pendulum is.

On my first day I found St Ninian’s very big compared to my primary school.  It has around double the number of pupils.  Travelling in the corridors to different classes every fifty minutes took a bit of getting used to, seeing as we only stayed in one class in primary.  It was a bit overwhelming at first, but my teachers helped me settle in very quickly.  It was almost impossible to get lost because there were signposts everywhere pointing to different subjects.

I used to hear that the homework in high school was very challenging but, in my opinion, fortunately, it is not so bad (so far).

One of the many things I liked about St Ninian’s was the sheer number of after school clubs.  There are over 70 clubs, so I managed to find many of my favourite sports and hobbies.  My personal favourite club is the S1 Science Club.  Once we made lava lamps and another time we made paper rockets and fired them outside.  Going to lots of clubs really got me to meet loads of new people and even some new friends.  Some of the activities take place during lunchtime so we don’t need to worry about getting home on time.  I really like badminton and squash club although they can be really exhausting sometimes.

Overall, I think that St Ninian’s is a great school and all the teachers are always happy to help.  I have enjoyed my first few weeks of secondary school very much.

Finlay Spooner (1a4)

My experience at St Ninian’s High School so far has been phenomenal. There is nothing negative I can say about the school.  Mr Docherty the Head Teacher, Mr Fuchs my head of year and all the staff have been so welcoming and supportive.  Thinking back it is hard to believe that a few months ago I was in Primary school.  I feel very at home at St Ninian’s High School.

On my first day at St Ninian’s I met my friends in the forum feeling slightly nervous and excited. Our day started with celebrating Mass at 8.45am.  We were then escorted by S6 pupils to our class.  The S6 pupils were available to show me around the school until I was comfortable with where all my classes were. This made my transition into S1 stress-free.

During the short time I have been at St Ninian’s I have made a lot of new friends from different Primary schools.  There are a large variety of extra-curricular clubs which run at lunch time and after school where I have made new friends.  I have joined the Science club, the S1 singers and the Friday Club.  This allows me to mix with other pupils in my year group and build relationships with the staff.

I am thoroughly enjoying the various subjects across my timetable, I particularly enjoy Science especially doing new experiments.

Floreat Iuventus, St Ninian’s school motto means Let youth Flourish.  I must agree that in my short time in St Ninian’s I am being encouraged to flourish. My aim during my time in St Ninian’s High School is to work hard and make my family and my teachers proud.

Sally Bradley 1a2