Our Local Area

I can describe and recreate the characteristics of my local environment by exploring the features of the landscape.

SOC 1-07a

We went a walk around the village to find features of our environment. We checked these off on a list.

We were able to describe the different types of shops we found.

We saw fields and knew that some of them are used as farms. We even spotted some cows!

We have sketched features of our environment. We stood at the top of the playground and noticed hills, pylons, fields, farms, trees and much more.

“We drew things we saw and looked at things to draw it properly.” – Gabriel

“We looked at features like hills and houses”- Freya

“ I saw and drew hills” – Marcy

“I drew bushes and grass” – Mia

“I drew a pylon which is an electricity tower and it goes there and comes back” – Scott

“I drew trees” – Eilidh

On Friday afternoon we had choosing activities. Some of us made models of things we had noticed during our walk through the village.

Some children worked in a team to build a train station like the one beside our school.

“We are making a train station” – Logan

“I’m making a tunnel for it. This is the bit where you buy the tickets” – Daniel

Eilidh was excited as we saw her house on our walk. She started building a house but then turned it into a wind farm!

“This is going to be a house. Some houses have pointy roofs”- Amber

“I flattened and squished the layers and made a pavement” – Gabriel

“This is the audience in the church. This is the door and the doorstep” – Marcy

Next steps – Next week we will be doing some art where we will draw some buildings found in Neilston. We are going to work in a group to create our own picture map of Neilston. Keep reading our blog to see how we get on!

One thought on “Our Local Area”

1. P2 we are very impressed with your sketches. We hope you had great fun exploring our village. Did you enjoy it? Did you spot anything new?

We can’t wait to see what you post next!

From P7a 🙂