Week beginning 29.4.24

Welcome to our weekly blog

In addition to our usual timetable of learning ,  we have had a fun filled week.

Our Primary 4 children performed their show ‘I am Special’ and it was absolutely wonderful.  I do not think there was a dry eye in the hall. Well done P4! We are so proud of you!

On Friday we took part in the Colour Run and had a fantastic time!

Have a wonderful weekend

Mrs McKim

Week beginning 22.4.24

Hello and welcome to our blog.

We have been busy this week.

In PE we enjoyed using the cycle track for athletics.  We turned it into a race track and took part in  team races and relay races as well as completing an obstacle course. We are hoping to improve our running speeds over the next few weeks.

In Outdoor Learning we were delighted the sun was shining (for a change!). We spent time learning about various habitats that exist in our woodlands and what animals may live there. We then created various food chains.

In Literacy we have been learning about persuasive techniques that are used in persuasive writing and have been creating our own written pieces.   Excellent persuasive phrases and emotive language used!

Have a lovely weekend

P4/5 and Mrs McKim

Week beginning 15.4.24

Welcome to our weekly blog and a warm welcome back after our Spring Break.

This week we have been busy in Crookfur as it has been Culture Week.  There have been lots and lots of different activities that we have taken part in.

“My favourite activity was Samosa making”. (Harrison)

“I loved creating Islamic Art using natural materials from outside”. (Scarlett)

“I loved making Mango Lassi”. (Lilian)

“My favourite thing was creating the Islamic Art using dot-to-dot as it made a really cool infinite star”. (Farouk)

“I loved cooking. I made Channa Chaat”. (Ephraim)

“The Eid pop up cards were great to make. I liked making my own design inside.” (Aaron).

“We used iPads and took part in a quiz – it was fun as we could steal gold from others if we answered the questions correctly”. (Finlay)

“I liked making the Vegetable Samosa because they were very crusty and cheesy.”(Haroon)

“I liked making the pop up cards because I liked designing them” (Calum)

“The mango lassi drink was fun to make and I liked how sweet it was”. (Harry)

Week beginning 25/3/24

Good afternoon and welcome to our last blog of the term.

This week we have making making lava lamps in Science.

In Literacy we created a set of instructions based on  George’s Marvellous Medicine.

In Social Studies we have been learning about farming and the hard work farmers do for us all.  We have also been learning about the food we eat, what it gives our body and what we should eat for a healthy life .  We also used the Kapla to design and build our own farms.  We had to think about the Red Tractor Standards and what type of farm we wanted to have and to include a home for our animals and one for the farmers as well as space to grow our crops.

We also had a lovely performance from our recorder group who showcased what they have been learning in a performance to their special grown up’s this week.  We were so pleased that they wanted to share it with us too!

We have been chatting about our favourite learning experience from this term . Here are some things we have liked …

“I have loved simplifying fractions” (Aaron)

“I like the Titanic topic.” (Oscar)

“I enjoyed painting landscapes with Miss Campbell” (Haroon)

“I liked tennis in PE”. (Calum)

“I enjoyed creating a French menu.” (Lilian)

“I like Farm to Fork as it is very factual.” (Scarlett)

“I enjoyed learning about BODMAS.” (Farouk)

“I liked learning about perimeter.” (Finlay)

“I liked TINKERCAD.” (Achintya)

Today is also Break the Rues Day it has been a fun  day.

Have a wonderful Spring holiday everyone and thank you so much for all you support this term and for your wonderful children. They really are a fabulous bunch !!!

Mrs Mc Kim

Week beginning 11.3.24

Hello all and welcome to our blog

In Literacy we are learning to write detailed instructions. We have looked at recipe books and  instructions of how to play a game in order  to find out about the layout and the language features used.  We decided that it would be a good idea to use our PE time to create our own games for others to play. We used various equipment, gave our game a name and a made up a set of rules. We then came back to class and wrote a set of instructions to match our game.  We worked in small groups and next week we will be using these instructions to see if others can play the games that were created.

We have been learning lots in our new Social Studies topic “Farm to Fork” including  seasonality. We researched various food that grow in Great Britain and when these foods are at there best.  We have also been learning about healthy eating and what various foods do for our bodies.

Have a lovely weekend

Mrs McKim and P4/5

Week beginning 4.3.24

Hello again and welcome to our weekly blog.

This week we have been busy celebrating World Book Day by taking part in lots of different Literacy activities.

We had a wonderful opportunity to read the imaginative stories that we have been working on with another class. It was amazing listening to everyone’s unique take on the Midnight Fair  and how so many different stories were created by looking at the same set of pictures.

We also had to research an author.  We searched Roald Dahl.  We made a list of things we wanted to learn about him and researched this.  We found out that  –

“He was a pilot in World War 2” (Cameron)

“His books have been translated into 63 different languages.” (Harrison) .

“His birthday was the 13th September.” (Scarlett).

“His most popular book is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.” (Calum)

“He died at 1990, the same year as his book Esio Trot was released.” (Lilian).

“He was a very good boxer.” (Finlay).

Another busy week – so busy that Mrs McKim forgot to take photos!

Have a great weekend

P4/5 and Mrs McKim

Week beginning 26.2.24

Good afternoon

This week in P4/5 has been full and busy.

In Science we were investigating separating solids and liquids using a new method called filtering, where the solids were too small to be separated with a sieve. We used filter paper and discovered it worked well with separating sand and soil from water, but not for instant coffee and sugar as they had dissolved in the water.

We took part in a whole class debate “Should the Titanic be raised from the Ocean?” We worked in teams – The Proposers and the Opposers  and turned our class into a debating chamber. Everyone worked hard to put their point across and debate the reasons for the motion. We followed the rules of a debate perfectly.

We had a visit from one of our parents who brought in a Morse Code machine. This was so exciting and we were delighted to have a turn and creating our own message. What a treat! Thank you so much to our lovely parent.

Have a lovely weekend

Mrs McKim and P4/5

Week beginning 19.2.24

Hello all,

This week in P4/5 we have been continuing to develop our tennis skills.

“In tennis we were practising different techniques and then played a game of doubles.” (Harrison)

“I am getting better at underhand shots.”( Farouk)

In writing we continued to write our imaginative story based on the fairground. This week we had to create the middle section. We had to think about how to engage and excite the reader by including a conflict

“My story was really fun to write and the conflict brought a little bit of mystery into it”. (Scarlett)

In Social Studies we worked in groups to decide what factors contributed to the demise of the Titanic. We used a “Diamond Nine” to do this. We had a lot of robust discussion about what we felt was the main reason and had to put the nine statements into order.

We also worked in our debating groups  for our Big Debate next week. We have been learning about the structure of a debate and the roles people have and the rules we have to follow.  it should be great fun! Who will wine the debate ?

Have a fabulous weekend

Mrs McKim and P4/5

Week beginning 12.2.24

Hello all,

A short but busy week in P4/5.

In Science  we were learning about floating and sinking. We tested different items from our classroom by putting them in water and recorded the data. We then learned about the term buoyancy and used this knowledge to work as a team to design a boat which could hold as many marbles as possible before sinking. We then reviewed our designs to see what worked/didn’t work and how we could adapt our boats to hold more marbles.

We took time some time  to decode our Morse Code messages that we had written to one another last week. Some were very tricky to work out and others were quite funny! We even created our own written code for others to decipher.

In maths we spent some time collecting and analysing data as well as creating our own surveys.

Another wonderful week in P4/5

Mrs McKim

Week beginning 29.1.24

Good afternoon and welcome to our weekly blog.

Learning in P4/5 this week included Science and Outdoor Learning.

In Science  we carried out an experiment to find out how different solids reacted when added to a liquid (water). We talked about the importance of a fair test to get an accurate result. Some of the solids dissolved, while others stayed the same. We discovered that stirring the mixtures helped some of the solids to dissolve faster e.g. sugar. Hot water was more effective than cold water when it came to dissolving too. We used the scientific terms soluble and insoluble to describe how the solids reacted in water.

“In Science we were learning about what happened when you mixed solids and liquids”.  (Ephraim)

“It was fun in science” (Beau)

In Outdoor Learning we made bird feeders to encourage garden birds to the woodlands. We are hoping that they eat the seed as the weather is quite cold and this will give them a nice food source.

“We were making bird feeders and we hope to see lots of birds visit our woodland” (Achintya).

“We worked in groups to make our bird feeders and placed them in trees outside. We are going to take some time to bird watch and record the birds we see”. (Scarlett)