transport, healthy eating, Eid celebrations and more….

This week in the block area, the children have been showing an interest in vehicles. Using the big blocks, they created an aeroplane flying to Canada, India and Disneyland Paris. We even had our very own air hostesses serving food and drink for the passengers. The children were so excited when there were some new cars added to the block area, they started to build car garages, “big enough to fit 500 cars” – MW and race around the track. 

“I am flying to India, to London then Glasgow” – NT

“In five sleeps I am going on holiday” – RM

“I am the pilot and this is my co pilot, thank you for flying with us today” ZS

“My wee car crashed” DC

In the home corner we have been looking through various supermarket leaflets and magazines, and have discussed different types of food. The children used their fine motor skills to cut out and stick down pictures of foods to create a ‘healthy plate.’ We talked about the kinds of foods we would have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and also which foods we thought were healthy. The children were able to identify some foods that had sugar in them and we began to sort them into food groups such as meat and fruit and vegetables.

LS – “for breakfast we could have oranges”

AS – “I’m putting a burger on mine, my sister has them all the time.”

IQ – “an apple is healthy, it’s a fruit”

KM – “donuts have lots of sugar in it”

MM – “lemons are sour”

IM – “soup is healthy because it has carrots and lettuce, they are vegetables, I have it for lunch at nursery”

NM – “sausages are meat”

The children have been showing an interest in cakes in the malleable area. They have shown a good understanding of the process of baking, going through the steps from rolling the dough, cutting out the shapes, putting in the oven and decorating the finished cake. 

“Wow, amazing” Y.A.S 

“ i made a heart cake, theres 1,2,3,4” J.R

The children have been exploring our world where we live, where animals live and how we can care about and look after the world we live in. 

JL “ Australia has lots of dangerous animals like snakes and spiders. It has the black widow spider that is poisonous”

HM “ the Dodo is extinct, it’s like the dinosaurs they are extinct it means they don’t exist anymore and we cant see them”

JK “the blue is all of the water there is SO much”

ZB “ look Ali this is us this is where we live in Scotland”

SS “ we have to not litter in the water because turtles might think plastic bags are jellyfish and might eat them and die.   Climate change is when you put something in water that will make you sick . Scientists know all about it you need to put rubbish in the bin”

The children explored the photography book ‘Masters of Drones’ and spoke about patterns in the sea, land and environment. There was lots of conversations about polar bear and the ice and climate change.

We thoroughly enjoyed celebrating and learning more about Eid from Mrs Shah and Miss Bashir, who planned a wonderful party for us. We had delicious foods, enjoyed some music and mehndi designs and spending time together to learn more about the world around us.

Have a lovely weekend and hopefully we will be able to enjoy some sunshine.