storytelling, number detectives, rainbow curry and animal dens

Responding to the children’s interest in animal habitats, within the literacy area we focused on the setting within our stories. Children explored mark making through malleable materials and loose parts, helping them to develop letter formation and letter recognition. The children have also expressed an interest in identifying their name and reproducing the letters.

The children enjoyed being number detectives as we explored the environment to spot what numbers we could see.

We have been learning about different islands in the sewing area and creating our own. The children used a combination of pens and fabric to produce their own islands and treasure maps, sewing on additional details such as “X marks the spot”. There was lots of great discussion as they designed  their islands and the inhabitants, including camels, sharks, mermaids and a rainbow polar bear!

“I heared it – the water, a splash. A pirate. I heared a monkey!” – DM

“I can’t believe I did an X!” – ZS

“My dad drank coconut milk in India” – ER

We had mashing, stirring and mixing outdoors this week as the boys and girls made their very own rainbow curry. They used their imagination and mathematical language to talk about their yummy creations.

MJ “Would you like some lovely chicken curry”?

RM “We are making rainbow curry”.

MJ “The apple has a star inside”.

The children have expressed an interest in where different types of animals live. We carried out research by reading non-fiction books and using the iPad to help us extend our knowledge. The children confidently shared their ideas and discussed different habitats and what the animals might eat.

AY – “a giraffe eats leaves and a panda eats bamboo”

RB – “the cheetah lives in the grass”

AS – “the polar bears live near the ice, they live near the mountains”, “Mount Everest is in India, my brother told me”

AS – “I’m making a fire, we need to rub 2 sticks together so it gets warm because fire is hot”

The children then decided to build some dens for the animals using a variety of natural materials and the building blocks. They were very creative and used their imagination and problem solving skills. There was great balancing and team work!

PZ – “this is where the baby elephant sleeps”

AS – “i’m making a tiger home, there’s a baby tiger in there”

CL – “I’m making a nest with the pinecones”

The children have been busy exploring all of the areas within the playroom and outdoors, playing with friends and developing their fine and gross motor skills. Here are some pictures captured of some very busy bodies engrossed in their play.

The boys and girls are showing increased independence as they come into our lunch hall, pouring their own water and plating up their lunch. Macaroni cheese is a firm favourite on the menu!

We hope everyone has a lovely September weekend! See you all when we get back.

Love Mrs Denholm