P3a Class Blog October 2015

Social Studies

We have started our Local Area topic by discussing what we already know and what we would like to find out about Giffnock.

Dan would like to know what the population of Giffnock is.

Hugh would like to know how many shops there are.

Molly would like to know how many children go to School in Giffnock.

The children enjoyed walking round the Local Area looking at the different styles of homes.  They also focused on how the land is used, recycling facilities available and public transport links. Finally they identified and discussed the route taken focusing on left and right turns.

‘I enjoyed the walk and discovered new places including May Terrace which is a row of terrace houses.’  Elliot

‘I liked when we passed the police station the police car put its lights on for us.’ Amir

I liked it when we passed the shops as I could see shops I mainly go to.’  Charlotte

HWB

Our focus at the moment is safety.  We are looking at the importance of having rules to keep us safe. We will be discussing what we do in an emergency and the people who can help us.

Expressive Arts

We are still focusing on developing tone and pattern using a range of materials in art.  We created lovely patterned vases using oil pastels and used bright coloured paint for the flowers to go into our vases.

I enjoyed decorating and making flowers for our vases.’ Alexander

’I liked designing the vases because I like flowers and I like painting them.’  Kate C

ICT

During ICT we have been using BBC Dance Mat to teach us how to correctly lay our fingers onto the keyboard and type efficiently.  We have really enjoyed using this resource.  We will be moving on to Beebot to link with direction in numeracy.

RME

We have been learning about The Good Samaritan through the use of role play and a visit from the Minister. We are developing a good understanding of how to be kind to others.

‘Mr Miller said The Good Samaritan is about being a good neighbour.’ Moya

‘We are learning to always be nice to people.’ Connor