HOMILY FROM FATHER STEPHEN FOR THE 15TH SUNDAY AFTER EASTER

The Generous Sower

Can you picture it? I love the image of Jesus sitting in a boat, addressing the crowds on the beach. He certainly knew how to hold their attention. And he knew they would understand him more clearly if he used the language of stories. Those listening would have been familiar with the cycle of planting seeds and waiting for them to produce a crop. One of the purposes of parables is to challenge the hearers to reflect and respond with faith. So this parable of the sower requires Jesus’ audience to decide what kind of soil they are. There is a message of judgement for those who are hardened like the rocky soil, and a message of hope for those who are receptive like the rich soil.

The figure of the sower is important too. The sower does not confine the seeds to soil that is fertile and ready for growth. Rather, the seeds are scattered everywhere – on the path, patches of rock and among thorns. Jesus does not discriminate. His love is given out for all. He knows that some of it may be rejected, or accepted only on a superficial level, but he offers it anyway. That offer of love is never withdrawn. It might take a while to bear fruit, but it is always there.

But this parable of the sower – make me ponder – why some people hear the word of God and some do not? Why in a family growing up with brothers and sisters, all in the same house – why some practice their catholic faith and others do not? Why some see the vision of God in their daily life styles or even try to live out the beattitudes of the Gospel in their day to day living and others do not? Do we use the graces God gives us in life? Only you and me can answer that! We have had so many different experiences over this lockdown – but how has it affected my faith? I have had the experiences – but have I reflected what meaning these experiences have had in my life? That’s where the true seed is sown in our hearts and lives.

On Thursday, 9th July – the feast of Our Lady of Aberdeen it was announced that public Mass could commence on Wednesday, 15th July – the eve of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The day, Mary is celebrated as a model of reflection, solitude and prayer. Please remember to thank Our Lady with the special prayer of the Memorare. I would also ask you to remember the Carmelites, especially the Sisters here in Scotland – to Sr Teresa Margaret RIP & Sr Annemarie in Dysart who made my ordination vestments and Sr Gloria and the community in Glasgow. May God bless and reward them for their prayers and kindness to so many of us.

Share this Post