Homily from Father Stephen for the 5th Sunday of Easter

Do not let your Hearts be troubled

Today’s readings speak powerfully of faith, hope and trust in God.

Corrie ten Boom had plenty of cause for worry over the course of her lifetime. During World War II, she, along with her father and sister, provided a refuge in their home for a number of Jewish friends, playing a pivotal role in the Dutch ‘underground’ who sheltered Jewish people. Their home was eventually raided and the entire family arrested, her father dying in prison and her sister in a concentration camp. Corrie was sent to a series of camps but was released, and afterwards told her story in a book called ‘The Hiding Place’. Corrie’s heart must have been troubled, often, but her strong faith sustained her and became the lens through which she viewed her life story: ‘Every experience God gives us, every person he puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only he can see.’

Last Thursday The Queen delivered a poignant message to mark the 75th anniversary of VE Day – praising the nation’s response to the coronavirus outbreak that has filled empty streets with “love and care”. As she remembered Britain’s Second World War sacrifices and the “joyous celebrations” that followed the end of fighting in Europe, she paid tribute to the positive qualities of our country. The tireless efforts of NHS staff, care and key workers, and communities helping the vulnerable, reflected a nation “those brave soldiers, sailors and airmen would recognise and admire.” She highlighted the message of Victory in Europe Day that resonates with the country’s plight today – “Never give up, never despair”. In her message: ‘The wartime generation knew that the best way to honour those who did not come back from the war, was to ensure that it didn’t happen again. The greatest tribute to their sacrifice is that countries who were once sworn enemies are now friends, working side by side for the peace, health and prosperity of us all. Today it may seem hard that we cannot mark this special anniversary as we would wish. Instead we remember from our homes and our doorsteps. But our streets are not empty; they are filled with the love and the care that we have for each other. And when I look at our country today, and see what we are willing to do to protect and support one another, I say with pride that we are still a nation those brave soldiers, sailors and airmen would recognise and admire’. She delivered a message of hope, saying if we remained resolute in the face of the outbreak “we will overcome it”.

The majority of us will never have to deal with as desperate a situation as Corrie’s or encourage a nation with hope. But we have our own anxieties, whether big or small, especially during this Covid-19 Virus. I’m sure last week we have all had lots of experiences where we encounter some form of anxiety. Last week my dad took a fall in the bathroom, cut his head and another cut down the side of his face. After a while realised that he had taken a stroke. Sadly, I am not allowed to visit him. I phoned the ward at the weekend, at first the nurse said YES, it was okay to come in but then I was phoned to cancel this request by a senior nurse. We have to accept what they think.

This was really frustrating for my dad, as he can’t understand why there are no visitors, but more alarming for him was not being able to receive the Blessed Sacrament and the anointing for the sick. He had an infection which caused him some confusion, and with a little memory loss he keeps forgetting that the nurses have told him ‘You’re not well so stay in bed, hence he ends up falling as he tries to get out of bed – forgetting what he’s been told! When some of the family phone he is on top form and when others phone he is confused and bewildered! He’s in the best place at the moment. Mum is coping and we all reach out to help her where ever possible. So, as we find ourselves experiencing a sense of uncertainty and vulnerability, that’s where faith comes in –that’s where we have to think positive and raise our heads in belief for tomorrow. That’s where the power of prayer comes in – and what better prayer than the rosary during this month of May.

Today’s readings speak powerfully of faith, hope and trust in God. As Christ walks before us, giving us the gifts and the graces we need to follow with courage and resolve, we are invited to say – ‘Lord, I do not know where you are going, so how can I know the way?’ None of us knows how the future is going to turn out, and that is precisely why we tend to worry. In today’s Gospel Thomas frets: ‘Lord, we do not know where you are going, so how can we know the way?’ But Jesus has reassuring words. ‘I am the way.’

Please remember in your thoughts and prayers members of our parish community who have been affected by the impact of the COVID-19 virus; for all who are sick, for the medical staff caring for them, for family members and friends of colleagues who have died and all who mourn their passing; for a speedy resolution to the current pandemic. Hand in hand with Jesus, we can walk the road ahead.

As ever, please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any prayers or support. Enjoy a peaceful and restful holiday weekend.

Share this Post