Wednesday Reflection

Midweek Reflection

I don’t suppose any of us or at least many of us are as rich as the Russian Oligarchs we hear so much about these days.  I equally suppose that most of us and almost certainly all of us are richer than the homeless people who beg on the streets of our cities.  So, should we feel ill at ease when we hear Jesus say, It is hard “for those who have wealth to enter the Kingdom of God”?  Well, yes!  Yes, that is, if we  keep and use our money solely for our own selves and for our own comfort and self-indulgence.  No; if we use what we have with a generous mind and care for those  struggling in the world.  It is not money that is the root of all evil.  Saint Paul wrote to Timothy and told him that “the love of money is the root of all evils.”  From time to time I encourage you to get into the habit of visiting the Oratory for a prayer during breaks or during lunch time.  Then I encourage you to tell your friends that you are going to do so, for, thereby, you give a good example.

One thing even better is to have the courage to invite others to come with you, if even for a moment.  One richness we  have is the ability to go to Holy Mass whenever we want….for some of us, during Lent that means every school day. That, too, is a richness we are meant to share.  We are all aware that there are many people who previously attended Mass before lock-down and have not returned.  Perhaps they are nervous of returning or have just got out of the way of going to church. Here’s something we can do for our Lenten Penance.  We can pray that they will seize the opportunity of opening the doors once more.  One thing even better is to have the humility and courage to invite them to join you and assure them that you will accompany them until they feel comfortable about re-joining the praying community.  That’s a richness to share and your reward will be great in Heaven.  The “love of money” is, I would say, related to pride.

Human wealth tempts the wealthy person to sin against both God and neighbour:  against God, because the wealthy person is tempted to feel no need for God. Against neighbour, because the wealthy person is tempted to feel superior to the less well-off.  Money is enticing because so many different things can be possessed and accomplished by it.  But as with every material thing, money is meant to offer us opportunities to serve both God and others.

Monsignor Monaghan

Share this Post