Wednesday Reflection

Midweek Reflection

22nd December 2021

One person, and one person only, told me that during the Year of Saint Joseph, he had visited a number of churches dedicated to Saint. Joseph. In our diocese, he had gone to the Parish of Saint Joseph in Clarkson and Greenock.  In Glasgow Archdiocese, to Milngavie, Tollcross and Faifley.  In Motherwell Diocese to Stepps and Blantyre.  I wish I had thought of doing the same! I thought that the Year of Dedication was a good time particularly for men to reflect on their role in the family, in marriage and in fatherhood.  Those called after Saint Joseph might well reflect on how Jesus looked upon him with the deepest of honour, respect, and love. He was the father who provided for him, the one who would hand on to him the best of their Jewish traditions.

One American bishop said that Joseph would have taught Jesus  how to pray, how to observe Shabbat,  how to honour God in the psalms, and how to read the sacred scriptures. Jesus would have hung about the carpenter’s shop picking up skills and witnessing to the value of hard work and dedication. How wonderful it must have been for Joseph to have the joy of the boy’s company for hour after hour.  What father does not cherish moments bonding with their sons? What did they talk about?  Well, we don’t actually know.  The Scriptures record very few words of Mary and none at all of Joseph! The silence of their witness is profound. Perhaps that was more effective than if they had spoken often. Is there a lesson there for us?   Be silent before the crib.  Be still. Be soundless.  Be present only to the Holy Family.  Be aware.

Monsignor Monaghan

Share this Post