HOMILY FROM CANON STEPHEN FOR THE 4TH SUNDAY OF LENT

4th Sunday of Lent B21

Homily

Out into the Light

Good morning everyone! Today, the ‘middle’ Sunday of lent, is known as Laetare Sunday – Laetare means ‘Rejoice!’ We tend not to think of Lent as a time to rejoice, but signs of joy are central at Mass today, such as the use of flowers on the altar and rose-coloured vestments for the priest instead of the usual Lenten purple. The shadow of the cross still looms large, but we look forward with hope to Easter, when light will conquer the darkness.

We are offered an opportunity today to pause and reflect on our Lenten journey. On the Gospel we hear that ‘the person who lives by the truth comes out into the light’. On the other hand, Jesus says that those who ‘prefer darkness to the light’ live in fear that their actions will be exposed.

We hear a lot of talk these days about transparency. We have seen the damage caused by those whose private actions gravely contradict the message they proclaim in public. Some questions we might ask ourselves this Lent are:

Am I living a truthful life ‘in the light’?

Am I honest in my dealings with others, trying always to choose what is right and just, or are there things I do in secret that are unkind or dishonest?

Am I attentive to the needs of others or am I more inclined to think of myself?

Lent offer us the opportunity to step out into the light, to allow the light of Jesus to sweep away any darkness or destructive habits and to begin again.

We proclaim the  Resurrection of Christ when his light illuminates the dark moments of our life, and we are able to share it with others; when we know when to smile with those who smile, and weep with those who weep; when we accompany those wo are sad and at risk of losing hope; when we recount our experience of faith to those who are searching for meaning and happiness … and there – with our attitude, with our witness, with our life – we say ‘Jesus is Risen,’ with our soul.’

– Pope Francis

It is also Mothering Sunday – a day to remember our Mothers – living and dead. In mediaeval times, today was a holiday from work when people went home to the mother church in which they were baptised. (Well, I don’t have to go far, as I was baptised here on 11th April 1965!) As families gathered, they gave gifts to their mothers, hence Mothering Sunday, a day we pray for our mothers too, and wish them a very happy day through a prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary. May God bless and reward them.

Share this Post