The Playground Project involves the school working with members of the Parent Council, Parent Staff Association and other parents to develop the playground into an exciting and vibrant environment which all our children can enjoy.
Here you can find updates and background info on the story so far and our exciting plans for the future.
Work to Date and Plans
Story so far and plans for the future
THE PLAYGROUND PROJECT – Active Fundraising for Active Play
- The story so far……with £3,000 raised by the PSA and with all your hard work on family action days, we created the mud kitchen, construction area, tyre climbing hill, P4/5 spider, planters, outdoor learning breakout area and P1 playground markings. Support totalling around £20,000 from ERC, Whitelee Development Fund and the PSA allowed us to build the outdoor classroom. We were also delighted – with your help – to win a £5,000 grant from the Tesco Bags of Help scheme to develop the Chestnut Garden and have had fantastic support from many local companies. Please see our thank you page on the school web site.What’s next? We asked the children! They gave great – and surprisingly sensible (!) feedback. So our plans now include:
- Climbing equipment for P4/5
- Painting playground markings and games in all areas
- Buddy benches / friendship spots
- Dance stages
- Basketball and netball hoops
- More seating around the playgrounds
- Amphitheatre seating in the grassy area
- Chute or scramble nets for grassy hill
- Tyre planters in tarmac areas
- A path around the grassy area with features and activities lining the path – this will make the area accessible to everyone all year round. We also need to put drainage into this area.
- Planting 200 trees kindly donated by the “Trees for Schools” project – you can even adopt one for your family!
We are currently creating specific plans and designs for each area and will share these when we can.
- How do we get there? We need at least £25,000 to deliver our vision of a dynamic and vibrant outdoor play and learning environment throughout the school. We have applied for Awards for All lottery funding of £10,000 – cross your fingers please! To match that, we have worked with the PSA to pull together a fun-filled programme of fundraising (including a World Record Attempt and Class challenge) to raise the rest. We can make this happen AND have fun doing it! More Family Action days will also give your families a chance to dig, paint and hammer our way over the finish line.
Please support all our children by helping us in this project in whatever way you can. THANK YOU!