EWHCF Class of 2021

P6A Blog – 06.09.19

Snapshot of P6A’s learning!

We started the week by visiting the science room to investigate whether items would float or sink to help us understand buoyancy. We could not believe that a Diet Coke can would float and a regular Coca Cola can would sink! After watching a video of diet and regular Coke being boiled we soon realised why this happened!

After this, we worked in groups to create Titanic related information posters by using the Chromebooks and laptops. Some of the topics we researched included; social classes, engineering/structure, the journey, modern day shipping and the events surrounding the Titanic. Some of us are even researching at home! In a couple of weeks, we will be presenting our posters to the class!

During our literacy lessons, we analysed an extract from our Harry Potter class novel and made inferences based on the author’s word choice. We then discussed and justified our answers with our partners. On Friday, we began to use our dictionary skills to locate definitions for tricky words throughout the first three chapters of the novel. It has been great reading it aloud in class.

In maths we completed a Sumdog challenge and learned a new game called “Exterminate” which is helping to improve our mental maths.

The highlight of the week was definitely the Diversity Day event at Barrhead Foundry. We took part in a quiz which involved us visiting stalls and learning about lots of different religions. All of us got a chance to participate in dances and games from different cultures. We especially enjoyed painting mugs.

This is what we had to say about Diversity Day:

Louis – We painted mugs and it was really really fun. I liked when the boys tried on turbans.  

Ethan – We had a quiz about different religions. I had many good conversations.  I didn’t know Bah’ai was a religion until today.   

Chloe –  We got to do some traditional ballroom dances from India.  

Aizah – I liked that the girls got to put saris and Bindi’s on. We looked beautiful! The Judaism horn was really cool too. I loved seeing a stall about my religion!

Rayhan – We took part in lots of sports.  

Darcey – We got to take part in some relay races. 

Rokaia – The hardest race was putting the bean bags on our toes and we had to hop.  

Lewis – The dancing was really fun and funny! I also liked that my religion was represented.  

Cole – We got to meet people from others schools and play and learn with them.  

Ryan – I loved wearing the Bindi.  

We also celebrated success this week by sharing our awards and medals with the class.

Miss Estlick’s Comment

Well done everyone for getting involved at the Diversity Day event, we had a lot of fun! Homework was issued last week and should be returned on Monday. For the next few weeks mental maths homework will be issued through Sumdog, however, if you cannot access this please let me know and I can issue the questions by printing them. Google Classrooms should now be accessible for all, you can locate the audiobooks of the chapters issued as homework in the resource section, again if there are any issues with this a printed copy can be issued. Please remember to complete 2 active spelling activities.

Congratulations to our first Star of the Week!