EWHCF Class of 2021

23.10.15 – We are back at school!

Welcome back everyone after our October holiday.

A Warm Welcome

We are very pleased to say that we have a new member to our fantastic class. Her name is Caitlin. She has moved to Scotland from South Africa.

We have spent lots of time this week making sure that she feels welcome in our class. We are looking forward to hearing all about her life in South Africa.

Learning this week

Learning for Sustainability

We have chosen our options for our LFS groups (previously focus groups) and these will be starting next Friday. Each child will be working in a group with pupils from throughout the school. The groups will work together learning about various things.

Weather Topic

We made rain gauges this week and put the outside. We intend to measure the rainfall over the next few weeks and we will record our findings. We hope that it rains a little bit so we can complete our work. (not too much though, we still want to go out to play!)

“I enjoyed creating my rain gauge” (Abi)

“It was fun” (Blake)

“We enjoyed decorating it and putting the straw in it”. (Chloe)

“It was fun to go outside”. (Ahmed)

Maths

Lots of work has been going on this week.

Some children enjoyed learning about numbers to 100 and less than and greater than. We used a Hungry Crocodile to help us remember how to do it correctly.

“I liked it when we had to look at the numbers and decide what number the crocodile was going to eat” (Zara)

Others have learned data analysis and have worked on Venn and Carroll diagrams. We have also been continuing to deepen our knowledge of tens and units.

“I enjoyed making the numbers and working as a group to find the answers” (Owen).

“I am finding it ok. I am beginning to understand what happens if you have more than 9 units. (Dylan)

We also learned about 3D objects and enjoyed making 3D buildings and models. We also created our own 3D object using straws and modelling clay.

Language

We have been developing our comprehension skills this week and have been enjoying this work. We have created another imaginative story about pirates and we have created the Learning Intentions and Success Criteria as a class.

We are also enjoying self-assessing our own work .