EWHCF Class of 2020

Blog of the week!

In Maths the Spheres have been learning to carry out division in lots of different ways. We have been dividing by sharing equally, putting cubes into groups of the number we are dividing by, and have also used links between division and tables. We have been practising using cubes to help us with our jotter work and played games like “Find the mistake” where you have to write calculations for a partner to see if they can find the wrong answer.

“I have enjoyed learning about division because using the cubes and putting them into groups has helped me work out the answer.” – Iain

The Cubes have been learning about area. Area is the size of a surface. We have been investigating by covering areas with different objects like cubes, buttons and pebbles to compare the areas.

“I found it really fun because we got to cover the whole carpet with paper! It took 40 sheets.” Lucy

The Cones have been learning addition and subtraction of three digit numbers including carrying. We have learnt lots of different strategies for carrying this out. We have practised on the whiteboard, using individual whiteboards and work in our jotters. We got to work out word problems and choose the strategy that we preferred.

“I think it is really fun because you get to work out lots of questions. I prefer to use vertical calculations to work out the answer as this is the easiest way for me to do it.” – Max F.

In Science we have started to learn about our new topic – Electricity! We learnt that some things use battery power, and others use mains power. Batteries are mostly used for smaller things and have less power.

“You have to be careful around electricity as it can hurt you.” – Marcel

“It was fun playing a game on the board where you had to sort what in a kitchen used batteries and what used mains.” – Beth

“I’m looking forward to experiments using batteries, wires and bulbs.” – Henry