EWHCF Class of 2020

We’re very busy in Primary 3 :) …

In Science, we have been learning about the bones in the body. First, we were given sheets with parts of the skeleton on. We had to cut them out and build a skeleton in our group. Next, the teachers hid the scientific names of the bones around the classroom on sheets with pictures of the bone on. We had to find the sheet, cut off the name, then take it back to our skeleton and label it in the right place.

“I found this activity very fun – it was fun to have the challenging of finding all the bones and then putting them in the right place.” – Christopher

“It helped us because we started learning where the bones went and the names when we were labelling them.” – Erin

“The smallest bone in your body is in your ear.” – Iain

“The patella is your knee cap and we thought it looked a bit like a potato!” – Marcel

In language we have learnt about onomatopoeia. This is a word for a sound that also sounds like it, for example boom. We read a poem about sounds in the morning, then wrote our own poem about sounds in the afternoon, like the bill ringing or leaves rustling. We wrote our poems up neatly onto plain paper using a line guide and illustrated them with pictures from the poem.

“It was fun learning about it and I found it really interesting. I enjoyed writing my own poem.” – Emily.

“I enjoyed reading the poem with a partner and highlighting onomatopoeia.  It was fun and helped me learning what onomatopoeia was.” – Lucy C.

In Maths, we have played games and made posters about our times tables to help us learn them. We had to make sure that we showed the table in lots of different ways, like on a number line or on a number square.  On Mrs Stewart’s side, we have been learning our 4 times table. We have practised using lots of different activities including a challenge in our jotters, and playing different games.

“I enjoyed practising my 6 times table at school and at home and now I know it!” – Olivia

“We have used ‘flip-flops’ to practise our tables. These were fun to make and use and helped us to do our mental maths in a different way.” – Aila

In Art we have been studying artwork by Vincent Van Gogh. We learnt all about him by watching a video and found out about his favourite colours and how he painted. We learnt how to draw sunflowers, like in his famous painting. We looked at the shapes of the sunflowers, drew our own in pencil and then went over our lines in black pen.

“I learnt how to draw sunflowers. Mrs Nasar demonstrated first which meant I could do it when I tried on my own.” – Phoebe

“I thought it was interesting finding out about the type of person he was.”  – Christopher

“I thought it was really interesting to find out how Vincent Van Gogh created his own painting of the sunflower – Beth.”