A Year in Review

What are your proudest moments of primary 6?

I asked you last week to tell me what your proudest moments in primary 6 were. Have a look below to see what you all answered!

When I said my assembly lines

Winning sports day

When we beat p7 at rounders

Learning new skills

How much faster I can run now

I started to get really good at art

Earning a gold coin and a high flyer

Performing in our class assembly

When I looked at my before and after results of the daily mile

Getting 49/50 on the National Spelling Test

When we were doing sewing and I couldn’t do it but then I did it

Helping out in the school

Earning a gold coin

Learning my times tables on my own up to 6

My proudest moment was when we won the Sumdog competition

My parents night report as my Mum and Dad were really pleased.

When it took me 48 seconds to run around the whole playground

What’s Been Cooking?

This week as part of our Food Around the World IDL topic you have all been cooking different foods from different countries and cultures. 

I hope you enjoy looking at what each other have been cooking and I hope you all had fun learning about different foods from around the world.

Noor

I made Fajitas because I like Mexican food and the name is cool. It wasn’t too hard to make because I had made it once before. The hardest part was making the filling!”

Kaif

“I decided to make chapati because it is a traditional food of Pakistan. It is a form of flat bread made with chapati (wheat) flour and households in Pakistan eat chapati for dinner almost every day. Making the chapati wasn’t difficult because I see my mum and gran make them often so I kind of knew what to do but making the chapati round was a challenge.  I tried rolling it out lots  of times and each time it kept losing shape but finally it was round looking and with my mum’s help I managed to get it round.  I was too scared to lift it and put it on the pan because the pan was very hot so my mum did that for me but I turned it over a few times until it was fully cooked.”

Maryam

“I made rainbow rice. I decided to make it because it is colourful and I have had it before. It was very yummy. I found it a little scary cooking it. The scary part was boiling the rice. It was not too easy to cook but not too hard to cook. The first thing I did was wash the rice. Then I boiled the rice and waited 10 minutes. While we were waiting for the rice to boil we made  shekrai (Butter, milk, sugar,and rose water). When the rice was boiled we added the shekrai then we waited 5 mins. After that we added drops of food colouring. Then stirred and that’s how we made it. It was sweet and amazing.”

Raine

Raine made some delicious muffins and sushi which comes from Japan!

Robbie

“I made macaroni cheese. It is originally from Italy. I found it quite easy but a little bit challenging.”

Guyatri

“I made fajita from Mexico. We also made guacamole, salsa, fish filling for the middle and yoghurt. I found cooking it relatively easy, I have done it before. I chose fajitas because they are always super scrumptious!”

Oli

Oli made pizza which comes from Italy (and is also my favourite food). He topped his pizza with cheese and tomatoes. It looks delicious.

Charlie 

“I made burritos. I chose this recipe because I like burritos and it is fun to make. It was easy cooking the burritos. I enjoyed this task.”

Rhiannon

“I made chilli beef tacos for Terrific Taco Tuesday. Tacos and chilli are from Mexico. We also made Rainbow salsa. I chose tacos because they are in my favourite T.V show “Victorious” and I wanted to try it. We cooked minced beef, lentils, onions and garlic, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, chilli and mixed herbs for 1 hour. The salsa is crunchy vegetables, lime and coriander. I liked chopping up the rainbow salsa best. We served the chilli with tacos, salsa, lettuce, yogurt and cheese. Next time I want to make American style burgers.”

Harris

“I made pizza because it reminds me of Italy and you get the best pizza in Italy. I found it quite easy to make and it was fun.   The dough sticks to your hands so you need to use lots of flour. It tasted yummy.”

Ramsha

“I made tiramisu which originated from Italy. I chose this recipe because I have never made it before and I wanted to give it a try. It was easy in some bits and hard in others because dipping in sponge fingers in coffee was easy but getting mascarpone and the other ingredients into cream was not easy.”

Current Events Writing

You were asked on Wednesday to read a CBBC Newsround article about the current events happening in America. In response, I asked you to put yourself in other people’s shoes and write about how you would be feeling. You were to write about how you would be feeling if you were in America right now, if you were a person of colour in America right now, if you were a police officer in America right now and if you were President of America right now.

I was very impressed when reading all your responses. You all had clearly taken time to think very deeply about the situation and all showed an ability to look at events from different perspectives. This is a really hard thing to do so well done to you all.

However, 2 pieces of writing jumped out at me. I was so impressed that I wanted to share them with you below. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did.

Writing 1:

If I was living in America right now, I would feel uncomfortable because I would have been put in a position that I can’t do anything to stop what is happening and that would make me annoyed. If I didn’t have the authority to stop anyone doing something bad I would write a letter to someone of authority who was reliable and hope that they would do something about it.

If I was a person of colour living in America I would honestly feel t-e-r-r-i-f-i-e-d but not just for myself but mainly for my family. If people of colour were being arrested for no reason whatsoever and my family were out there, then I would feel scared to let them leave the house, even to go to the supermarket. I would try to take some authority but if I couldn’t then I would hope the police were good or try and make sure I don’t run into any bad ones.

If I was a police officer right now in America I would be feeling worried for the other police officers that worked with me because they might not be good. Since I was a police officer I would use my authority to do the right thing and would advise all the other police officers to do the same. I would try to be as friendly as possible to everyone so that they would feel more comfortable about what is going on.

If I was the president I would feel guilty, knowing that innocent people were being hurt. If I was the president of America I would have that authority , wait let me rephrase that , I would have the authority to make a better difference. I would demand all police officers in America to not be racist and if they did, they would be in trouble. I would make a speech, so that people of colour would feel safer. I would urge people of colour to follow what the police officers say, and that if they were innocent then that would be the end of it. I would be as kind as possible to all people and also to the police officers who were doing a good job.

Writing 2:

I would feel scared, angry and upset.I would join in with the peaceful protest because black lives matter. I would be scared because of all the fighting, fires, stealing and riots. I would be upset to see a human being killed in that way and angry that the people who keep us safe are the ones which caused it. 

I would be angry. To see someone that looks like me killed by the police, it was like his life didn’t matter as much as a white person. I would join in with the protests to show my support in making a change. I would be upset as in 2020 I would have hoped we would all be treated as equals. In a way I would be proud of everyone coming together to show support and voicing that black lives matter. Hopefully this will bring on a change.

I would be annoyed. I go to work to protect people but it’s been made very difficult as shops are being burned down and people are attacking the police. We are all being made out to be the same way, just because some police are bad and racist doesn’t mean we all are. I am sad that someone who works for the police like me and is supposed to protect people has done this to another human being. I would be scared that I got hurt while out at work, I have done nothing wrong but am being attacked. I will still go to work every day and try and do my best to let people protest peacefully and safely.

I would be determined to try and make my country at peace. I would be sad that this has happened in my country, I need the people of America to trust the police not be against them. I would want to get rid of racism completely and would be proud of everyone coming together to show black lives matter. I would be angry that the people feel that burning down buildings and stealing from shops is the answer as it puts the police and normal people at risk. I would be showing the people that what happened isn’t ok, making sure the ones who did it were punished properly and working hard with different groups to try and find a way to move on from this having made people stop and listen.

Weekly Gallery

It’s Friday and that only means one thing for primary 6 …. it’s time for the weekly gallery. Because last week was a short week, I have included some photos from our learning then too. I’ve been very impressed by all your work this week and particularly liked your skills focus work. I even had a go following Harris’s tutorial on how to make scones! I’ve loved seeing all the pictures from your science experiments and hope Oli’s dad has survived his rocket experiment! Keep working hard primary 6. I am so proud of you all 🙂

Love Miss Howie xxx

Oli built a rocket this week and nearly sent his dad exploding into space! You can watch the video on our stream!

Kaif has also been doing lots of science experiments this week and has produced some amazing results!

You have been using your STEM skills to build tall towers using different objects from around your houses. Check out the height of some of these!!! Do you think they would be taller than me?

Eshaal has been practicing more of her drawing skills and I am so impressed by her talent. Keep doing what you are doing Eshaal!

As part of a house challenge you had to make rainbows to celebrate the NHS. I loved how creative Hayah, Charlie and Kaif were!

You were researching words ending in -dle. Some of you even came up with over 30!

You used your research skills to find out information about King Henry the VIII. Check out the poster Hayah made for some interesting facts.

You have been learning a lot about shapes. You created patterns and pictures using 2D shapes, as you can see in Laura, Oli and Euan’s work.

And you also drew and created your own £D nets and shapes. Look at Kyle, Robbie, Maryam and Harris’s work. Well done everyone!

Weekly Gallery

It’s Friday again and I hope you all enjoy looking at what you have been learning all week. You are all doing so well coping with online learning and I am continuously impressed by your spirit and resilience. keep it up!

Love you all, Miss Howe 🙂 🙂 xx

This week you have been learning how to communicate in British Sign Language. This is such an important skill to have in life. Well done everyone!

You have all started a new IDL topic this week about food around the world. You have been researching and creating menus based on traditional county cuisines.

You have been focusing on characterisation this week. You have created pictures of characters from your book based on STEAL. I was very impressed by all your work. Keep it up!

You have been creating pictures using your knowledge of coordinates. They turned out fab!

You had the chance to choose what art skill to work on this week and you all created such individual and interesting pictures.

And you have been focusing on developing your photography skills sing different shots and angles. I LOVE the pictures you all took!

One of this weeks STEM challenges was to build a bridge using everyday materials that could hold the weight of 4 tins and was at least 30cm high off the ground.

Another of this weeks stem challenges was to build something that can pick things up. Check out some of the videos on the stream and this picture below! Such creativity!

You have all been working exceptionally hard on multiplication this week. Well done everyone. Keep up this hard work!

What an amazing week of learning primary 6. Keep working hard, keep smile and keep being your amazing selves. You should all be extremely proud! I know I am proud of each and every one of you! xx

Weekly Gallery

And here we are at Friday again! The week has flown in and we have learnt so much. A highlight of the week for me was your egg experiment. I loved seeing all your videos and I am trying to work out how to upload them onto the blog. I hope you enjoy looking at all these pictures from the week and are proud of how well you are doing. I know I am incredibly proud. Keep it up! #teamp6

Lots and lots of love, Miss Howie xxx

We have been sharing with each other what we are grateful for during this lockdown.

You have been learning all about family trees and how to draw them. Some of you have learnt about new people in your family.

You have been thinking about what you would need to survive in a bunker and listing different items in order of necessity.

You have been practising writing newspaper reports. Check out Raj’s, Charlie’s and Harris’s articles. Great job!

You have been reading or listening to a text and selecting the main points and events. You have then turned the main points into a story board. Your story boards al; turned out amazing. Look at what Raine, Ramsha and Robbie made!

You have been working hard in your maths this week. Look at the work Kyle has done in algebra and symmetry. Keep up the great work.

You have been using your curiosity skills to think about where and when we use maths in the real world. Check out Harris’s work! I would never have thought of FIFA!

Raine has been busy doing lots of art work. I especially love her use of colour and gradient in this one!

Oli has been keeping fit and cycled 7 MILES! Well done Oli. I’ll watch you at the Olympics one day I’m sure!

Weekly Gallery

It’s been our first week back since the Easter holidays and primary 6 have thrown themselves straight back in to online learning. Keep your determination and motivation up! You are coping fantastically with online learning and I am so impressed by each and everyone of you. Stay strong, stay positive and stay you!

Lots and lots of love from a distance, Miss Howie 🙂 xxx

You have all been enjoying reading. Check out Laura reading the longest book she ever has and Robbie reading in a very comfortable looking position!

Charlie has been busy baking again this week and has made these delicious looking chocolate crispy cakes. Feel free to send some to me Charlie!

And Harris has been making tortillas. You could be a chef one day with those skills!

Kyle has been on fire this week learning all about similes and metaphors and French sports! Keep up the amazing work Kyle!

You were challenged this week to make a boat that can float on water. Euan and Noor definitely managed to do this!

Even though we can’t do Bikeability in school at the moment, you have still been learning all about the Highway Code. Noor made an amazing leaflet educating people on the Highway Code and Raj has taken some great notes!

And some of you are going out on your bikes anyway! Here is a picture of Harris riding like the fast and the furious!

We are still working on our shading skills and this week created pictures from shadows. Look at the art Nathan, Ramsha, Euan and Harris produced. Great job!

You were all sent on a rainbow treasure hunt this week. Look what Oli and Charlie found while hunting for different colours!

And don’t think I don’t know that some of you are doing your school work in your PJ’s!!! Oli was caught in the act in this cosy looking dressing gown! Not going to lie, I am a little bit jealous!

Welcome Back

Welcome back everybody. I hope you all had a relaxing and fun filled Easter holiday. To kickstart our online learning again I have uploaded a selection of tasks to Google Classroom. If you have any questions about these task just leave me a comment or message 🙂

As our time in lockdown continues we need to keep digging deep and staying strong. Some days will be easy to get through and some days will be hard. That is ok and that is normal. Every day brings with it new challenges, especially the longer you go without seeing friends and family. However, remind yourself that you will get through this! You are all incredible, strong individuals who, when faced with a challenge, rise to it and don’t let it win. Use that mentality now. When it gets hard take a deep breath, take your mind off things by doing something fun you enjoy and talk about how you are feeling with somebody. It could be someone in your home, a friend or family member on Facetime or even me. I am always going to be here for you and I am never more than a comment away. You can do this!!! Everyday in lockdown is a day closer to the end and normality returning so focus on the positive!

I love you all and I am missing seeing you in class. Keep sending me your pictures and videos as they always put a huge smile on my face.

Keep positive team p6! You’ve got this!

Miss Howie xxx

Week 2 Gallery

Hi everyone and welcome to P6’s week 2 gallery of learning at home experiences. I have been utterly blown away again by your work this week and how well you have all adapted to this change in routine. It has been great to see all your smiling faces as you continue to learn at home and seeing you all doing so well has made me so happy. I am so lucky to have you all in my class and I am so grateful that we are all able to stay in touch with one another during this time.

With the Easter holidays approaching keep the positivity and resilience you have all been showing through the past 2 weeks going. Continue to experiment and try new and exciting things at home and don’t forget to have fun!!! Even though we are on holiday next week and I won’t be setting daily tasks feel free to still comment and chat to me and your classmates and share your experiences, photos and videos on the stream. I would love to see them.

With that get ready to see this week’s highlights! I love and miss you like crazy. I hope you enjoy looking through these photos as much as I have 🙂

Miss Howie xx

P.S. sorry for pranking you all on April Fool’s Day!

Even though cooking and baking wasn’t one of your tasks this week, lots of you have been doing so anyway which is great to see! Here are some of the things people have been making. I think you are all giving Gordon Ramsay a run for his money!

You tried out some magic tricks this week and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed. I think some of you might secretly be in the magic circle!

You have all continued learning important life skills like how to change a bed. Check out Kaif and Charlie doing an awesome job!

You have been learning the Japanese art of origami and have created some amazing things like dogs, cats and hats!

With Easter coming up you have been learning about why Christians celebrate it and have made some of your own Easter crafts.

Lots of you have continued doing Joe Wicks workouts. Harris has challenged himself even more by doing it on a trampoline!

Charlie was the same as me after one of the workouts …  very tired!

Kaif has been keeping active in a different way and has been out riding his bike.

#

Some of you have been practising your single line drawings. Check out these amazing ones by Raine and Noor.

This week you were focusing on learning about first aid. You started by researching what was in a first aid kit and why.

Then you moved on to learning how to treat cuts and burns. After all that you learnt when and how to put someone in the recovery position. Look at the great demonstration of the recovery position shown by Oli, Euan and Kyle. Well done boys!

To round off the week you took lots of different photos using your knowledge of camera shots and angles. See if you can spot all the different one!

Wednesday 1st April

Good morning everyone. I hope you are all safe and well. I am continually impressed by how well you are all coping with this change in routine. You are blowing me away! Keep it up primary 6 🙂

As always, work is up on Google Classroom. Please only do what is right for you and your family. Keep the pictures coming my way and stay positive.

Miss Howie xx