Primary 1 – Miss Burleigh

26.06.2020

So today is officially our last day in Primary 1 together. When you come back to school in August, you will be a big Primary 2.
I just wanted to say a massive thank you because I have had such a lovely year with you all and I am going to miss you all very much. Each and every one of you have been superstars. 🌟 Although our year got cut a little bit short, we still had lots of fun & made some brilliant memories.

I hope you all have a fantastic summer & I can’t wait to see all of your smiling faces when we go back to school in August.

Miss Burleigh 😊

24.06.2020

Good Morning,

We can’t believe it’s almost the summer holidays! That means that it’s almost time for you to become a Primary 2! Whether you are in P1/2 or P2,  we are sure you are going to have a fantastic year filled with lots of fun.

If you have any questions remember you can always email us.
Miss Burleigh’s email – Cheryl.burleigh@eastayrshire.org.uk

Miss McLean’s email – Jacqueline.mclean@eastayrshire.org.uk

We hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. 😃

22.06.2020

Good Morning boys and girls, Miss McLean and Miss Burleigh here!

As you all know, our summer holidays are getting very close and that means that it is almost time for you to become a big P2! You will also know that some of you will be in P1/2 with Miss Burleigh and some will be in P2 with Miss McLean.

We are so lucky that we have done lots of joint learning and playing together this year so even if you are moving next door with Miss McLean, then you will already know a bit about her and will have been in your new classroom before BUT we do know that you might have some questions. If so, fill in the form below and we will get back to you with the answers this week.

We are SO excited to welcome you back as a Primary 2. 🌈

Have a great day!

Miss McLean & Miss Burleigh

😊☺️

19.06.2020

Good Morning,

I can’t believe it’s Friday again! This means that we only have 1 week left of Primary 1. Next week we plan on having a ‘virtual bump up week’ so keep your eyes on this page to find out a little more.

Today I thought that you could celebrate all of the things you have learned to do or achieved throughout the year so far. You could draw a picture or make a poster. 🌟

If you are exploring outside, I was wondering if you could create your own pattern. You can use any items from inside or out.

E.g. Leaf, stone, leaf, stone.
Stick, stone, leaf, stick, stone, leaf

You could draw a game of hopscotch using chalk. Then have some fun playing hopscotch.

Have a lovely weekend. 😃

Miss Burleigh

17.06.2020

Good  Morning!

I hope you have been having a great week so far. I really enjoyed being back in school on Monday. It was great to get to see & have a wee chat with some of the other staff, although it wasn’t the same without all of you!

Today we are going to carry on with our Gruffalo theme.

Can you use playdough or recyclable materials to make your monster? I would love to see some photos.

Maybe you would like to do some research into some of the animals in the story? Can you find out what they eat and where they live?

I wonder if you can write a menu for the Gruffalo’s dinner?Remember the book says he likes horrible things like; roasted fox and owl ice cream.
How disgusting can you make your menu?

I have attached a copy of the Stage 1 common words below, if any of you are looking for some new words to practise.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!😃

Miss Burleigh

Stage One

a

at

the

I

in

it

an

is

and

am

me

my

did

as

he

can

we

go

get

if

on

for

you

was

went

his

have

just

to

your

by

only

are

dad

not

she

come

from

this

that

then

with

us

so

much

of

or

old

do

going

out

new

one

first

little

had

see

has

play

no

look

made

said

big

could

down

off

him

all

came

here

her

before

Mum

15.06.2020

Good Morning,

I hope you have all had a lovely weekend.

Today is a day full of activities from one of my favourite books, The Gruffalo! Let’s start by listening to the story! Can you remember the author of the Gruffalo?

Maybe you could go a walk to the woods. Can you retell the story of the Gruffalo whilst you walk? Maybe you can spot where you think the different animals live? Watch out for the Gruffalo!

Can you design your very own monster? What would it look like? What noises would it make? What would it spend it’s day doing? Where would it live? Maybe you could draw a picture and write some words to describe it.

Today I am going back into school for the first time since the school had to close. I am really looking forward to getting back into the school and seeing some of the staff, although it will be very quiet without all of you. I can’t wait until we are all back in school together.

I hope you have a marvellous Monday.

Miss Burleigh

12.06.2020

Good morning,

Can you believe it’s Friday again? The weeks just seem to be flying by just now.

Today you could ask a grown up to put some items in a box. Close your eyes and feel what is inside. Use as many words as you can to describe it. Can you guess what it is?

Maybe you could practise your counting. You could count how many steps it takes to walk from the kitchen to your bedroom or from your living room to the garden etc.

To finish off our week I have included a fun quiz. I wonder if you will recognise any of the songs or characters in it. The quicker you answer, the more points you get. Just click on the link below to get started. Good luck!

https://kahoot.it/challenge/05371676?challenge-id=ab73145a-80f3-43d0-bd68-1d82438698c3_1591873645041

Have a lovely weekend. 😃

Miss Burleigh

10.06.2020

Good Morning Primary 1

Your first job today is a listening and talking task. I wonder if  you can tell a group story.
The first person starts a story with one sentence. Then the next person adds onto the story, and it continues until everyone has contributed at least one sentence to the story. (For smaller groups, you can go around two or three times). This requires listening to what has already been said and making connections, as well as working together as a group.

Today I have added the link to a numeracy activity from White Rose Maths. It is an activity to practise your number bonds to 10 and fact families. Click on Summer Term – Week 3 – Lesson 1.

https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-1/

I have also uploaded another little science experiment for you to try.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Miss Burleigh

08.06.2020

Good Morning!

I hope you have all enjoyed another beautiful weekend. I loved seeing all of your sports day photos so thanks for sending them in. It was such a fun week & I loved taking part in some of the activities. Miss Robb very kindly put together the staff race video. Did you see it on the main page?

The nursery children are getting very excited about coming to Primary 1 after the summer but they would like to find out a bit more about what they might do at school. I was wondering if you could help them by recording a little video telling them all about it & what you love about Primary 1. Or maybe you would prefer to write a letter to them telling them what P1 is like?  You might want to tell them about some of the things you have learned to do, what activities we have, about going to gym or about some of the toys that you like to play with in school.

You can upload your video or letter to your blog or email it to me. My email is – Cheryl.burleigh@eastayrshire.org.uk

For numeracy you could practise saying your doubles to someone in your house.

1+1=
2+2=
3+3=
Etc.

I hope you have a fab Monday!

Miss Burleigh

5.6.2020

Good Morning Primary 1,

Today is the final day of Health Week & what a fantastic way to finish it off, with our Virtual Sports Day!!

Egg & Spoon Race

The Primary 1 race is the egg & spoon race. You can use an egg, potato or whatever you have at home. So get ready to run the length of your garden & try not to drop the egg! Keep one hand behind your back & remember no cheating!!!

Challenge

How many times can you hop in 1 minute?
You’ll need to ask someone to help you to set a timer for this challenge.

Don’t forget to take lots of pictures & either upload them on to your blog or you can email them to me.

Today is also Fruity Friday so be sure to enjoy some fruity treats. 🍏🍓🍇

Good luck everyone!! On your mark, get set, go!🏃🏽‍♀️🏃🏽

Miss Burleigh

1.6.2020

Good Morning Primary 1

It’s hard to believe that we are in June already!! This week is health week and we are going to be taking part in lots of different activities that are all about feeling good and staying healthy. We will finish off our week with a virtual sports day on Friday!

Mrs Ferguson came up with a brilliant idea of having a different focus for each day & I have listed them below with some ideas for you all to try out at home.

Mindfulness Monday – In Primary 1 we have already done some work on mindfulness, particularly when we do our Zen Den videos. Mindfulness is when we take notice of how our mind & body feels. It’s when we take our time and focus in a relaxed way.

I have included a little Zen Den video for you to try.

Try it/TikTok TuesdayIt’s always good to try different things. Dancing is such a fun way to look after our own well-being. It keeps us fit and often involves lots of fun and laughter. Today you could pick your favourite song & try to learn or create your own dance & dont’t forget to involve some of your family.

Walking WednesdayMany of us have been enjoying lots of beautiful walks in the sunshine over the past few weeks. Today you could plan a walk for you and your family.

Maybe we could count and see how far we’ve all managed to walk?

Thoughtful Thursday – Today is all about valuing and looking after our friends, family or people in the community and letting them know that we care about them. You could do something kind and thoughtful to make someone else feel good. You might want to draw them a beautiful picture, make them a card, give them a compliment or even just help to tidy up. Random acts of kindness often make people feel appreciated and I’m sure it’ll make you feel great too.

Fruity Friday – Today’s challenge is definitely one of my favourites! Today is ‘Fruity Friday’ and our Virtual Sports Day. Maybe you could refuel after a busy week by enjoying lots of tasty fruits. You might even want to get creative with your fruit, I have added some pictures of some fruity masterpieces below!

Have a fantastic week & I can’t wait to see your updates via email or the blog. ☀️😄

Miss Burleigh

29.5.2020

Good morning,

Happy Friday!

I have loved chatting to some of you over the past few days. I haven’t managed to call everyone yet so don’t panic if you haven’t heard from me. I will be calling some more people today & possibly into the start of next week.

Since it’s to be another beautiful day & I know some of you have been spending lots of time outside, I thought we could add in some ‘Water Play’ by doing some work on volume & capacity. Here is the link to White Rose Maths – Week 6, Lesson 3 and 4.

You might want to use some cups, jugs, different sized containers or empty milk bottles that you have in the recycling.

If you have any paper plates, you could try to make a Paper Plate Sundial.

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you have lots of fun. Have a lovely weekend.

Miss Burleigh

27.5.2020

Good Morning Primary 1,

I hope you have had a lovely long weekend! I have been on lots of lovely walks the past few days. I am really looking forward to giving you all a wee call this week. I can’t wait to hear how you are getting on and what you have been getting up to whilst we have been off school.

Today I thought that you might like to plan and organise a family movie night. You have to choose a film, make tickets, make a poster to advertise the film (when, where, what film), select the food and enjoy spending time together with a new or favourite film!

Last week we were exploring money & reminding ourselves about the different coins you get. This week you could set up your very own shop. What are you going to sell in your shop? How much do the items cost?

I have also included an experiment that you might like to try.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and I can’t wait to chat to some of you throughout the week. 😃

Miss Burleigh

22.5.2020

Happy Friday,

I hope you have had a great week so far. It has been lovely to read some of your messages and posts throughout the week. 😃

Today you could play Kim’s Game. You need to collect 10 items from around your house. (A peg, a rubber band, a milk carton lid, a pen, a toy, a spoon etc.) Concentrate on all the items and try to remember their position. Next, cover the tray with a towel or blanket. One person removes an item and the other person tries to guess what’s been removed.

Money

Ask an adult for coins to 10p (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p) or you might want to challenge yourself and explore coins up to £1 or £2. Can you put the coins in order of value – smallest to largest?
Next, draw around the coins and write the value on them.
After that, could even do rubbings of these coins. Put paper over the top of a coin and then use a pencil or crayon to rub over the top.

I hope you have a lovely weekend. 😃

Miss Burleigh

20.5.2020

Good Morning,

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week and the theme is Kindness.  I would like you to have a chat with someone at home about all of the kind things you have done or would like to do during Lockdown.  Remember, it doesn’t have to be something big, as it’s the small things that really count.  You might have helped someone to tidy up, given them a compliment, shared something with them or even let them pick what to watch on TV. 

Today you could create your own ‘Feelings Cloud’ & each day you can colour in a raindrop depending on how you are feeling. Remember these colours are just to give you an idea, you can choose your own.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! 😃

Miss Burleigh

18.5.2020

Good Morning,

I hope you have had a lovely weekend. I spent lots of time playing games this weekend and enjoyed a Zoom quiz & catch-up with some of my friends. It was my mum’s birthday yesterday so I also got to enjoy some tasty birthday cake.

Today I was thinking that you could hide one of your small toys in a secret place and create a treasure map to help somebody else find it.

Can you practise saying your saying your number bonds to 10 to someone in your house.

0 + 10 = 10
1 + 9 =10
2 + 8 = 10
3 + 7 = 10
4 + 6 = 10
5 + 5 = 10
6 + 4 = 10
7 + 3 = 10
8 + 2 = 10
9 + 1 = 10
10 + 0 = 10

You can practise the ‘ch’ sound with Geraldine. Can you find anything in your house that has the ‘ch’ sound in it.

A big thank you to all parents and carers, who I know will be trying their best to support and continue learning at home.  

I hope you are all doing well and keeping safe. 

Missing you all!

Miss Burleigh

15.5.2020

Good Morning

‘Feel Good Friday’ is a tradition that we usually do every week in class.

Usually, before home time on a Friday we choose someone in the class and make them feel good! We usually take their photo and write all the things we love about them around their picture. Sometimes we write things they are good at, things they have done to help us or just something we really like about them. Then we print the picture off & put them up on display.

Today I wondered if you could make a ‘Feel Good Friday’ for someone special to you. It might be your mum, your brother, your sister, your best friend, someone you miss or even your neighbour. You could draw a picture of them and write all the lovely things about them around it.

I really love doing this on a Friday as the special person always has a great big smile on their face as they listen to all the great things about themselves and everyone is always really keen to share their lovely comments. 🌟

If you do decide to try this out at home, I would love to see your finished picture!

Remember you can upload it on to your blog or email it to me. Cheryl.burleigh@eastayrshire.org.uk

Have a super Friday & a lovely weekend. 😃

Miss Burleigh

13.5.2020

Good morning Primary 1,

Today we are going to do a bit of work on weight and mass. There is a little video on this website to help you. Click on week 1 and Lesson 1.

Click the words below to view some examples to discuss.
Weight and Mass

Have a look at this picture. What can you see? Talk to someone at home about all of the things you can spot in the picture. Can you think of some words to describe what’s happening? Try to sound out these words, you might need an adult’s help to write them down. You could make your own ‘word bank’ using these words. Talk about some sentences you might write about this picture. You could choose a sentence and try writing it.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Miss Burleigh

11.5.2020

Good Morning,

I hope you have had a lovely weekend! This weekend I did a bit more baking & learned how to make a gingerbread. I also went on some nice long walks. Yesterday we had our ‘Cul-de-sac Quiz’ & this week I was hosting it, that meant I had to ask all of the questions.

Today I thought you could watch this little video all about pairs & counting in 2s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z3cmpv4

You could try and sort all of your socks into pairs or see what pairs you can find in your house.

For literacy we are going to revise syllables. You can clap for each syllable, speak like a robot or use paper to create your own stepping stones & jump along one space for every syllable you hear in the word. Here are some pictures to get you started.

Remember that you can access Sumdog and Reading Wise aswell.

Have a fab day! 😃

Miss Burleigh

6.5.2020

Good morning Primary 1,

I hope you have had a good start to your week. Thanks to those who have posted a wee update, they have certainly brightened up my week.

On Friday there is a celebration day called VE Day & this day stands for ’Victory in Europe Day’. Some of the people involved in the war received special medals and badges for their bravery. Today I thought you could use a variety of materials that you have about the house to create your very own bravery medals and badges.

You could use any Lego, blocks, boxes, paper etc. to create your own air display or build your own planes. You might also want to create your own bunting like the ones below.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.

Miss Burleigh 😃

4.5.2020

Good Morning,

I hope you have had a lovely weekend! It was such a beautiful day on Saturday that I went on a lovely walk to Eglinton Park. Yesterday we had our ‘Cul-de-sac Quiz’ again. This week we finished in 1st place so that means that we have to create the questions for next weeks quiz.

BBC Bitesize have a great lesson today all about number bonds to 10 that I thought you might like to look at. Remember we were trying hard to learn our number bonds to 10 in class.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zh8m6v4

I have included the link to the Jolly Phonics songs that we use to help us learn our sounds.

Can you write the following words and insert the correct vowel. Draw the picture next to each word. Once you have completed this, write a sentence about each of the words.

I have uploaded another little experiment for you to try. Today’s challenge is to make a balloon rocket.

I hope you have a lovely day whatever you get up to.  😃

Miss Burleigh

1.5.2020

Happy Friday!

Good morning everyone.  Can you believe it is Friday already?  Not only that but today is the start of a new month.
Can anyone remember what month comes after April?

Today I have included the link for a BBC bitesize video, to practise some numbers and counting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/maths-ks1-adding-1-to-20/zjm6nrd

Here is a link to a little number game too. https://www.bbc.co.uk/games/embed/education-ivor-starting-school?exitGameUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fbbc.co.uk%2Fbitesize%2Farticles%2Fzd4b382

Today you could start a nature diary. Look out of the window each day or when you are out on your daily walk, keep note of what you see. Birds, flowers, changes in the weather, what else? I wonder if you can spot any changes that are starting to take place. 🌺🌷🌿

I hope you have a lovely weekend. 😃

Miss Burleigh

29.4.2020

Good Morning,

I hope your week is going well so far. It has been lovely to see some of your photos & videos this week, so thank you to everyone who have shared these with me.

Today I thought you could practise your handwriting, ensuring that you are forming your letters correctly and starting them from the correct place. I have included a little video to help.

Following on from creating your own puppets the other day, I came across this activity and thought some of you might like to try it.

I wonder if you can find things around the house/garden to build a tower the same height as you.
How tall is the tallest tower you can build?
Can you build a short tower?

You could also get some string, ribbon or lace and use this to measure things around your house. Can you find anything longer than your string? Can you find anything to shorter or the same length as your string?

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday,

Miss Burleigh

27.4.2020

Good Morning,

I hope you have had a lovely weekend!
As it was such a beautiful day on Saturday I decided to have a BBQ. Yesterday we had a ‘Cul-de-sac Quiz’. We took our chairs, a piece of paper and a pen and sat in our front garden, and we took part in a quiz with all of our neighbours. We had a great time & we even managed to come in 3rd place.

Today I was thinking that you could make a sock puppet and put on your very own puppet show for everyone in your house.

Maths – Can you estimate then measure the length of five items using blocks, Lego bricks, stones, pencils or anything you have about the house.             

Place these carefully along the length of the item, then count to see how long it is. What was the longest/shortest item?

Can you find items in your house that are taller than you? Did you find anything shorter than you?

I saw this cool experiment where you get to grow your own rainbow and I thought you might like to try it. I am going to try it this afternoon.🌈

I hope you have super day! 😃

Miss Burleigh

24.4.2020

Happy Friday!

I decided to add a wee video for our Friday check-in today!

Cheryl.burleigh@eastayrshire.org.uk

I have also added the link to the BBC Bitesize shape videos & activities. Well done to those of you who have been working on & completed your Sumdog challenges.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zbtp34j/articles/zfdvvk7

You could start to collect lids off of your milk cartons, so that you can use these to write your sounds on and then you can build your own words at home.

I hope you have a fabulous Friday. 😃

Miss Burleigh

22.4.2020

Good morning,

I was thinking that since it was nice some of you might be spending some more time out in the garden. I thought that this could be a fun activity for you to do if you’re outside. You can do this activity to draw, practise your letters, words or numbers. All you need is a bucket or a tub  of water & a paintbrush.

How many letters/sounds can you think of?
Can you write just the vowels?
Can you make some words?
Can you create your own character for a story?
What numbers can you write?

You might want to look for any 2D & 3D shapes around your house & garden or even have a shape hunt when out on your daily walk.

Maybe you could look for some natural things in the garden & try to make some of your own shapes.

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.

Miss Burleigh

20.4.2020

Good Morning,

I hope you all had a fun Easter holiday despite it being a little different from normal. I have loved getting to spend time out in the garden catching up with lots of different jobs although I seem to get easily distracted chatting to the neighbours over the fence. This week I baked fruit scones for the first time. It was a bit tricky but they tasted great. I started off using the little circle cutter but then I decided to freestyle it as I wanted to try & make them look like they do in the coffee shops but they went a bit wonky! Oops! 😂

Fruit Scones

I’d love to hear about the things that you enjoyed doing whether it be going a walk, watching a film, playing with your toys, eating an Easter egg. Maybe you could draw a picture of something that you have been doing & write a wee sentence telling me all about it.

If you still have some of your recycling lying about you could try to create your own adding machine using a cardboard box & some kitchen roll tubes or plastic bottles, like the one we have in class.

I think today has to be a lovely sunny day, so maybe you could try some shadow drawing out in the garden using some of your favourite toys.

I look forward to seeing some of your updates!

Miss Burleigh 😃

13.4.2020

Hello everyone,

Well done for finding our new blog page!

I hope you all have had a lovely Easter and enjoyed a little chocolate treat or two.  I had a lovely weekend reading my book and enjoying the beautiful sunshine out in the garden, watching the bees and ladybirds exploring the flowers.

How are you all getting on with Mrs Govans challenge to create a ‘Wish List’ jar? I started mine the other day & I’m already looking forward to picking something out of it once I am able to.

I’m sure that many of you will have been thinking of lots of wonderfully creative things to do at home. I saw that Brody created a ‘Treasure Hunt’ for everyone in the village to take part in, when they were out on their daily walk. I hope you all had fun trying it out & I can’t wait to hear all about it.

Enjoy the rest of your Easter Holidays! 🐣😃

Miss Burleigh

An East Ayrshire Council site