Wednesday 10th February

Recognising signs – Environmental print

In the ECC the children are encouraged to learn about the environmental print surrounding them, not only in the centre, but out in their community and surrounding them wherever they may go.  We encourage the children to recognise and ‘read’ environmental print as it is an important step in early literacy skills.    When children start to respond to environmental print they are beginning to recognise the relationship between words and visual representation.  

Here is a short video for the grown ups to show how we promote environmental print in the ECC and suggest ways that you could possibly introduce learning opportunities at home.

So, at the weekend, I was very busy and when out and about I searched for any environmental print that I could find.  I would like for everyone to watch the videos, possibly have a pen and paper at the ready and write down your answers, (children could mark make and draw their ideas too), as to what environmental print they recognise or what they think it may mean.  I am also looking for the children to comment on shape and colour as well as the pictures, words, letters and numbers.  You may need to pause the video throughout to give time to discuss your answers.  Hope you have fun!

Going for my shopping

Going for a walk

I hope you all managed to recognise some of these signs.  So why not have a go yourselves?  You could go for a walk and see what signs you see or go to the supermarket, even look in your home or in catalogues.  I would love to see what you find and for you to share it with me.  It doesn’t need to be videos – it could be photographs, pictures you have drawn or even print you have found and cut from magazines.  However you decide to explore environmental print, have fun and remember to have lots of discussion – what the children understand and recognise will depend on their age and stage but it is a great learning opportunity especially whilst out a walk or doing a shop.  

Achieving Apple would also like to set you one challenge for the week. Could you learn one thing to be helpful in the house?  Could you possibly learn one task such as;  how to make your bed, tidy your own toys away, load the washing machine or make your own sandwich?  I am sure the grown ups could find plenty for you to do and Achieving Apple man would be so proud as well as all the staff here at Catrine ECC, so get busy helping

Send your photographs, answers and pictures to me at;

ealesley-anne.adams@glow.sch.uk

Curricular areas covered;

Maths and Numeracy;  Exploring numbers 0-10, 0-20, numeral recognition, recognising colour and shape

Social Studies;  Explore and recognise features of local environment

Expressive arts;  I can create a range of visual information, recognise colour, line and shape

Communication and literacy;  I can tell the difference between letter/word/numeral/picture, identify initial sounds, explore a variety of environmental print, I can find out more by asking questions, mark-make and relate personal experience to my information and ideas