2PM POST – LITERACY

One of our favourite games! Who doesn’t like a game of I Spy??? And what’s more, the educational benefits are tremendous! Initial sounds is a skill which can take a while to grasp with some children so it’s a great wee activity to do that’s easy no matter where you are.

Starting off it’s best to have items in front of your child that they can see

e.g. an apple

a car

a pencil

a ball

a doll

(you get the idea)

You then begin, “I spy with my little eye, something beginning with PI” (for P) remember to use the sounds that the letters make and not the letter names.

When your child begins to get the hang of 5 or 6 items on the table in front of them you could try this super tricky challenge sheet. And once they have mastered this they are ready to play anywhere.

I Spy

Challenge – try turning it around to see if your child can take a turn, asking YOU if you can find things using their initial sound clues.

For some finding eye spy using initial sounds a little tricky – why not start with COLOUR I SPY. Again set up the same only with coloured items OR you can use the checklist below and it can be a look and find activity. You can use it to match, or to give clues, colour, shape, size, where you might find one, pattern etc. Lots of possibilities.

Checklist

Have fun 🙂