Update 13th May

Good afternoon and I hope this finds you safe and well.  It is an incredibly busy time of year and both pupils and staff have been working hard,  Just to give you an update on a variety of things which have and are going to be happening in the run up to the holidays.

After competitive interview, Miss McCulloch was selected as the preferred candidate for the permanent Loanhead:Depute’s position and I am sure you will join me in congratulating her.  She will take up the post officially on the 17th August.

On a  serious note there are growing concerns among the staff and parents about road safety at the gates.  Children are walking onto the road to go around adults to get to their own parent/carer.  I am very sure that you will agree this is incredibly dangerous and no one would want an accident to occur especially when the road is so busy.  Please do not park close to the gates and avoid moving your car if there are large numbers of children and adults waiting.  Parking up at the Dick Institute is free and not far away.  Please be vigilant for young children.  Primary One parents if you could come into the area next to the PEACE building wearing a face covering and socially distanced at all times from other adults, as of Monday 14th (tomorrow) and we will see if this helps to alleviate the situation.  Please do not enter if you have no face covering.

Last week we began outdoor transition visits for the new primary one cohort joining us in August.  Everyone had great fun with Mr Devlin last week whilst I spoke with parents and Mrs Poulter will be meeting the children this coming week again outside for some more fun.

Multiple videos have been created and embedded into sway’s which will be sent out via the app tomorrow Monday 14th June as a replacement for the Gallery in the Park event that had to be canceled.  Mr Devlin has worked very hard to put everyone’s pictures into class videos and we hope that you will enjoy watching them.  Pictures will also come home this week.

All classes have been having a lunch in the new dining hall in their class bubbles to allow them to experience this before hopefully we can return in the new session to eating together.  Primary 7’s will have the privilege of this for the entire final week and will also be having a P7 favorites menu special celebration meal during that final week.  They also have their visit to Kilmarnock Academy on the 21st.

This week see the start of the Euros and the children will have the opportunity to watch the first half of the game tomorrow in school.  As this is the first in 23 years we have had a Scottish team in the Euros we will be flying the Scottish flag for our home country team.  Children will also be involved in other Euro related activities throughout the week and although P2 have completed the football training with Vibrant Communities over the last 4 weeks,  P3’s will have another session this week and next before their sessions are complete.  The staff will make sure that prompt dismissal will happen at three o’clock.  As anyone who has been on the school football team will agree it is best if I do not watch as apparently the team I support never wins!

Primary 1’s and Primary 7s will have a special outdoor assembly next week to receive their certificates this year and whilst classes will remain in their bubbles and parents will not be able to attend, we will take plenty of photographs and make it special for them.

Letters about classes and teachers are immanent and are just awaiting authority confirmation on staffing to be able to send them out.

I hope you have had a lovely weekend and my apologies for the length of the post.

Kind regards, Mrs Milne