Whole School

17.6.24 – 28.6.24 – This week’s blog is by everyone!

We have had a busy few weeks to end our final term of the year!

The P1-3’s went to The Cocoabean Factory for a school trip with Shawhead! We first started playing in the inside area where there was a big slide! We then went to make some chocolate. We got a choice of milk chocolate or white chocolate or both. We then got a bowl of sweets to decorate it and put it in our chocolate. I put marshmallows and more chocolate in it! It was very yummy! – Amelia

I also loved the chocolate! We then went to the outside area where there was a big blue hill to climb, a maze, slides, swings, and lots more! There was also a gold mine where we found some gold! My favourite was the red slide! – Ollie

We went on our P7 Trip to Carlisle. We went to Fusion Trampoline Park and Hollywood Bowling. First we got the train from Dumfries to Carlisle. When we got there we had to walk to Fusion because we didn’t have a car. When we got there we went on the sky ride which was fun and after that we went on the trampoline part and Sarah face planted on the second trampoline! My favourite part was the soft play! – Emily

We also played ‘hide and seek’ in the soft play area and went on a beam thing where you had to push each other off like Gladiators! We also got some refill slush puppies! Then we walked to Hollywood Bowl and ordered our food before playing our game of bowling. I won!! I liked everything we did! – Sarah

Here is a video of us doing our different flips!

We got some scooters for the school. Everyone has had a go at playing on them. We can bring our own helmets from home if we’d like to. They are fun to play on! – Arleigh

The whole school went to Mabie Farm Park with Shawhead. There was so much stuff to do! We went on the train which hurt! We also went on the bouncy pillow, the go carts and went into the hay barn. We went on the big slide which took ages to walk up to with the rubber ring. We also had a go on the boats. My favourite part was the bouncy pillow and the trampolines! – Indie

We also had a look around the different animals and got to have a go at petting them. We got to pet a ferret and a giant bunny! My favourite part was the bouncy pillow, the trailer side and the train! Everyone had a fun day! – Leo

For our Leavers Ceremony we had a BBQ with everyone. I had a hot dog and a burger! We then went inside and did a performance. We sang some songs and played tin whistles. We also did acrostic poems for the P7’s and they did their memories. – Aurelia

We then went onto the awards. There was a citizenship, endeavour, art, music and homework awards. There was also ‘most improved lacrosse player of the year’, ‘players player of the year for lacrosse’, Sports Champion senior and junior and there was also The House Cup awarded. I won ‘the most improved lacrosse player of the year’ and The Senior Sports Champion. – Aria

<— Click here to watch us sing ‘One More Step Along the World I Go’

We have enjoyed our time here a lot! We will miss Lochrutton and all the pupils and staff members here! – Emily & Sarah

We also got the school an apple tree to remember us by! We have now planted it at the front of the school!

On our last day on Monday we will all be having a water fight to end a great year! Have a fantastic summer everyone!

10.6.24 – 14.6.24 – This week’s blog is by Sarah and Indie!

We went to a Guid Nychburris football tournament over 2 days. The first day was a mixed team and the second day was just a girls team. With the mixed team we won 2, lost 2 and drew 1! On the Friday with the girls we didn’t win but overall we played well together as a team! – Sarah

We have made some Reebops. Reebops are little playdough characters that we used to learn about our genes and how different we all are. We got 2 bits of paper that said capital letters and lowers case letters, and in your team when you each got one you had to choose 1 out of the 2 without looking at it. It said the differences, like curly tail or straight tail, blue legs or red legs, 2 eyes or 3 eyes. We then made our new characters. – Sarah

I worked with Amelia, it was funny how they all turned out different. – Indie

When the older children were away, we were dressing up and it was great fun! I dressed up as a police officer. – Indie

The P4-7’s from both schools went to Glasgow Science Centre. We took part in lots of different activities like going in to the planetarium, which was actually my favourite part. We also went to all of the different floors and explored around all the different science experiments. We then went to the IMAX cinema to watch a documentary about the animal kingdom. I had a great time on this trip with everyone! – Sarah

On Tuesday The P1-3’s went to Kirkudbright Primary School to take part in The Galloway Games. We were the McBride clan! Some of the games we took part in were: highland dancing, rolling tyres, tug of war, welly boot throw, hurdles and lots more! My favourite one was the welly boot throw and I nearly got it stuck in the tree because I threw it so high! – Indie

3.6.24 – 7.6.24 – This week’s blog is by Amelia!

The P1-4’s went to Springholm to see an opera performance. It was about a girl called Sophie and her Teddy Bear. Sophie couldn’t get to sleep but the Teddy Bear came alive and helped her calm down but then she got too excited. The Teddy Bear got frustrated but luckily he got her back to sleep. It was a nice performance.

The P4-7’s went to a lacrosse tournament.

We went to Newington Primary and we played pretty well, we came 9th overall. We played very well as a team. I also scored 3 goals in 1 game! – Sophie

We had a fun afternoon where we invited the pre-schoolers to come. We first started by going on the climbing frame, then had a break before going on a scavenger hunt where we had to find clues. After that we read ‘Dinosaurs Love Underpants’. I had a lot of fun and my little brother was even there.

We had our Sports Day part 2!

<— Click here to see about it.

We took part in ‘the fiver challenge’, which is to make money for a P7 trip. For the first few weeks we decided we were going to work together, but we realised we didn’t have a lot of time to meet up so on the last week we decided we were just going to sell our stuff separately and make different things. Emily made tablet and cupcakes and Sarah made plant pots, cards and bracelets. When we brought all of our money together we made £194.15! We don’t know how much Roddy at Shawhead has made yet but it will all get put together. We are both excited for our trip to Carlisle! – Emily & Sarah

27.5.24 – 31.5.24 – This week’s blog is by Aria!

We have done a few things this week with our partnered school Shawhead. A Feis Rois gathering and Sports Day part 1!

<— Click here to see all about it.

Mrs. Russel came to visit our school with some chicks. She brought in 5 different chicks and we all had a chance of holding them. They were very cute, especially the baby ones! My favourite part was hearing Freddie squawk, he was very loud!

<– Click here to hear Freddie’s loud squawk!

This week we shared the work we have been doing in class with Mr. T, – with our parents. We have been re-visiting our vision, values and aims and wanted to get feedback from our parents as we are all part of this school – pupils, staff and parents. Once we gather all our thoughts and opinions from everyone we will launch our new vision, values and aims for our school in August – next session. – Mr T.

Leo, Arleigh and I, along with Devyn from Shawhead, went to a tennis festival at Nunholm. We first practised serving and hitting the ball. There were also games at the top of the court to play. We played matches against lots of different schools. It was close but sadly we didn’t win, but we had fun! – Amelia

20.5.24-24.5.24 – This week’s blog is by Emily!

At the weekend, Arleigh, Aurelia and I participated in an Aquathon. We had to swim and then run. There were a lot of other children there! I really enjoyed it, especially the swimming! – Aria

We have been practising for our Sports Day. We were practising target tennis, netball and the relay race. My favourite is the relay race! The first sports day is next Wednesday at Shawhead Primary, and then the following Wednesday it is here.

We have been re-looking at our visions, values and aims for the school. We have come up with four words for our new set of values – S.P.E.A.K, S.H.A.R.E, T.H.I.N.K and L.O.C.H. – each word has specific values for each letter. We want them to be meaningful to our school.

We have just started a new reading scheme called ‘Bug Club’. There is an online platform where you read books and there are questions to go with them, which are ‘bugs’. There are also physical copies to read at school. When you read a book you get coins which you can use to buy items. I’m looking forward to trying it out. Sarah and I, as we’re at the end of P7, have just the online books to do which look great.

We’ve been doing a bean experiment where we put beans into a plastic bag with damp paper towels and put them all over the school, in different light settings. We are checking to see how or if they grow, but so far they have cracked open, but not started to grow yet, which I find very strange! We also planted peas, flowers and more beans in plant pots. We are keeping them in the class for now and watering them everyday.

This week in Feis Rois, we were practising for our Clan Gathering next week. Our teachers have been teaching us Gaelic songs from all over Scotland. Our teachers are Eva and Christina.

13.5.24-17.5.24 – This week’s blog is by Sarah!

This week in Galloway Games, we practiced tug of war. It was Solway v’s Criffel and in the end Criffel won. It was fun!

During break time it was quite wet outside so we had an inside playtime. Some of us played with boards and pegs and others played with other stuff like the wooden blocks, and beads to make shapes. I used the board with pegs and I made a picture of a sheep and a sunset.

P1-4 were outside looking at flowers and drawing them to go on our ‘Lochulele’ bus picture from last week. I enjoyed drawing the flowers. – Aria

It has been lovely and sunny at school. At breaktime some of the children made some things with the wooden blocks attached together with our new half pipes, and some played with hula hoops and the squishy tiles.

I made a couch with Arleigh! – Indie

Leo and I made a house with the tiles which had 2 pillows. – Aurelia

In Feis Rois this week, we were practicing some dances and songs for our gathering with Shawhead in a few weeks. We practiced two dances – combining them, and sang a lot of songs like ‘Jimmy Lost his Marbles’, ‘The Bus Song’ and ‘Hey Man Do’. With the ukuleles we practiced some chords.

Right now at school we are in the middle of a science project using beans. We are seeing how long it takes for them to grow in different places – like in the cupboard, hallway and on windows. We also have them North, West, South and East facing to see if that makes a difference. We will keep you updated on all the changes.

6.5.24-10.5.24 – This week’s blog is by Sophie!

We took part in a football tournament called The Barbour Cup. We had an older and younger team and we played 9 games each. It was very challenging but enjoyable. We all worked well as a team!

Mrs Barbour has been taking an after school football club and everyone’s skills have been getting better.

In Feis Rois we were singing some songs. We sang a song in Norwegian because Christina – our tutor is from Norway. We were also singing about the trolls who play people music at night. You have to be nice to them or they won’t be nice to you and they’ll do naughty things while you’re sleeping.

Also with Feis Rois we had to design a tartan tour bus. We called it the Lochulele bus because we live in Lochfoot and we’ve been playing ukuleles. We also created portraits of ourselves to put on the bus.

The younger children went on a hunt for some bugs such as centipedes and snails. We found a few snails and a centipede under the log. I like finding all these bugs! Arleigh

We had an indoor break because it was raining, and with our new blocks we decided to see who could make the tallest tower. Emily got the highest tower! It then fell over! – Sarah & Emily

We went on a nature walk to the loch. We saw some tadpoles and we played a game of ‘It’. We also practiced some sprint relays. It was quite hard because the grass was uneven. I really enjoyed going to the loch!

We have had tennis for 4 weeks as part of an Active Schools lunch club. First we started off by bouncing balloons with a racket, then we moved on to tennis balls. We’ve been trying to do rallies. We have all enjoyed it and had lots of fun.

At playtime Arleigh and I made a temple with our new wooden blocks we got.

We have also had Active Schools in to practice for the ‘Galloway Games’. We have been having a shot at javelin, archery and jumping over hurdles. We have also been practising the welly toss and the chest pass. This was a new activity for us.