Our Weekly News – 31st January

Our Weekly News – Friday 31st January

Each week we will endeavour to share something from each class but this may not always be the case. For further details and information about our school, please head over to our website at https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/dg/kirkcudbrightprimary
.
.
Primary 1
This week we have been learning how to do gymnastics with Mrs Brown, and again with Mrs McMillan and Mrs Rozniakowska. We had fun rolling over and over on the springy mats! We enjoyed balancing on the floor and even doing partner balances.
In P.E, we were looking at different types of balances. We balanced on benches and twirled off them afterwards. We then moved on to movements and using apparatus.
Lucy – “I really like climbing up the climbing frame hoops.”
Lacey – “I like balancing on the bench and doing a twirl.”
.
.
Primary 2
This week, P2 has been learning to perfrom gymnastics. The boys and girls can:
– Travel across mats in different ways
– Create and hold balances e.g. dish, bridhe, table…
– Perform rolls e.g. log, forward, egg…
The boys and girls are working hard to sequence what they have learned to create a performance.
“Forward rolls are fun,” said Damian.
“The one foot balance is tricky,” said Ethan.
.
.
Primary 2/3
This week we have been creating a colourful underwater picture of what we thought it would look like under the sea of The Island of Struay. We did this as it was linked to our class topic.
KJ said, “It was really fun.”
Anna said, “We were being very creative.”
Lucy said, “I liked it and it was a new experience.”
Maisy said, “I liked how we coloured it in nicely.”
Noah said, “I liked the detail.”
.
.
Primary 3/4
In class we have continued with co-ordinates and received a secret message.
Andrew Hay (community warden) came into visit to ask for help designing dog fouling posters.
We read the story of Greyfriars Bobby and all had a good greet!
Ava – “I enjoyed designing the dog poo posters. I worked with Kirstin and ours said, “Watch out, poop about. Keep Kirkcudbright clean.”
Eva – “We had a star co-ordinate activity. I really enjoyed it.”
Jack – “I found it frustrating!”
We received a secret message this week in our co-ordinate treasure hunt. If you plan on turning up, you MUST have an adult with you! (KBT Harbour Square on Sunday at 2.15pm).
.
.
Primary 4
We have started researching our personal projects on Scottish history, choosing our topic and asking 3 research interesting questions. We’re still writing our beautiful poems too!
Adam said, “I’m improving my research skills!”
Sunny said, “I’ve been enjoying adding rhythm, rhyme and Scots words to my poems!”
We will be visited by Mr. McClure’s uncle, Douglas McClure, on Wednesday afternoon. He’s a retired art teacher and a coin expert who will show some historic Scottish coins to the class.
.
.
Primary 5
This week we did lots of work in reading groups and we really tried hard to focus on our task. Reading in the groups was fun.
We went on the computers and Googled houses now and Celts house. We were comparing them. We found lots of differences between the two.
We used think boards for multiplication; we loved exploring them and then using them to help us achieve more in our multiplication!
Paige said, “I enjoyed reading groups!”
“I liked using think boards in multiplication his week!” said Courtney.
Ksawier said, “I enjoyed doing the Celts research when we used Google to compare the houses!”
.
.
Primary 5/6
We have been learning about how to develop and improve our creative writing.
Our P6’s have been taking part in the K’Nex challenge.
We have been learning our Scottish poems ready for the judging panel.
“The p6’s done a K’Nex challenge and they had to make a bridge.” – Tanya
“Introducing creativity to learning gives it a super boost.” – Ralph
.
.
Primary 6
This week, all of P6 took part in a K’Nex competition. Our challenge was to design and build a bridge with the added challenge of the bridge lowering to open, so to allow a boat to go through. There were some wonderful models but congratulations to Polly , Lucas , Imogen and Stuart who have qualified for the cluster heats later this term.
We have completed all of our letters to Famous Scots and we will be posting them next week.
We finished reading ‘Billionaire Bairn’ this week. We really enjoyed reading and trying to understand Scots language.
Jessica – “I learned how to say some new French weathers e.g. Il pleut means it is raining.”
Archie – “I learned that I was better at my poem than I thought!”
Alfie – “I learned that the UK is leaving the EU today!”
Next week we are at Lockerbie Manor from Monday to Wednesday.
Please bring all of your kit for 9am and double check you have everything you need!
.
.
Primary 7
We have been developing our football skills, focusing on passing and using the inside of the foot.
We are doing well with our Accelerated Reader targets. So far the class have read 13,461,992 words.
We have been updating our classroom displays. We have created Blitz pictures, models of WW2 planes and camouflage soldiers.
Freddie – “I’m enjoying using passing drills to practice my football skills.”
Lewis – “I’m reading the ‘Beast of Buckingham Palace’ at the moment.”
Eden – “I used a pencil to create tone in my soldier portrait.”
Lion King trip next Wednesday. Children should wear school uniform and bring a packed lunch. Approximate time of return to Kirkcudbright is 8pm.