Kirkcolm Primary School

– what have we been up to?

Kirkcolm’s Spooktacular Halloween

Today the boys and girls arrived at school in their scariest costumes ready for a fun-filled day ahead. The older pupils enjoyed some Halloween themed maths followed by some spooky reading comprehension. The younger ones had good fun with their Halloween maths then got their brains into gear with a Halloween scavenger hunt which went down a treat (pun intended!) The clues are below if the older ones fancy a wee shot too..
After lunch we kick started our Halloween party, organized by house captains – Sally, Danny, Lydia and Jack with a costume parade, and I must say I was very impressed with the efforts that everyone went to – well done! The contest was judged by our house captains who had the very difficult task of choosing a favourite from each primary! Winners were:
🎃😈🐺🧛‍♀️👻🦇
P1 – Parker Clive
P2 – Sally Warwick 
P3 – Ross Warwick (winner) and Rory Calvert (runner up)
P4 – Callum Dougan
P5 – Lyle McCulloch
P6 – Ivan Turtle (who dressed as a turtle – I liked this idea a lot!! 🐢​)
P7 – Steven Gillon
We then had fun playing musical chairs, spooky corners and pumpkin relays, where the boys and girls had to roll a tangerine back and forth across the hall using their noses (and yes, this was a funny to watch as it was to play!🍑) We then ‘dooked’ for apples (we apologies for any face paint that was ruined in the playing of this game haha!) and finished the afternoon with ‘best dancer’ who the house captains chose as Phoebe Manson and Robert McCubbin – great moves guys! 🕺💃

Ansley McClure from Kirkcolm Hub very kindly donated some left over cakes and sweet treats from their Halloween party last night for the boys and girls to enjoy to end our fabulous day, thank you so much for this – we are very grateful 🙂 🍰

Halloween Quiz: 

1. Now you see me, now you don’t. Notice me hiding? Oh no you won’t! For I am invisible and like to hide too, only to come out at Halloween to say BOO! What am I?
  2. Inside us all this red liquid keeps us alive, without it in our bodies we wouldn’t survive. What am I?
  3. A bed for a vampire, not very comfy but it’ll do. No pillow, no mattress, more of a wooden box with no window and no view. What am I?   
  4. A figure made of bones, with a skull and all – we all have one inside of us and it grows as we get tall. No eyes balls left in my head; t hey’ve fallen out now I’m dead. What am I?  
  5. During full moons we appear, from the forests very near. We howl and we howl while continuing to prowl. Looking to kill with our sharp claws and ferocious jaws. What am I?  
  6. Great at taking flight, up high through the night, when the sun rises during the day, you won’t see me come out to play. What am I? 
  7. All wrapped in white, I would give you a fright.  My bandages they hide the unknown inside. Buried in my tomb a thousand years ago, but sometimes you’ll notice that my eyes still glow. What am I? 
  8. Not used for sweeping or to brush, the witches all use me when in a rush. Up high in the sky the witches all fly, but that’s thanks to me, I think they’ll agree. What am I?   
  9. All orange and round I sit with my crooked smile, carve me any way you like, with your favourite style.  What am I? 
  10. Up the waterspout I climb, one of my 8 legs at a time. Busy catching insects for tea and making webs in a tree. What am I?