Shakespeare Literacy Study

“Don’t call me flaky, I’m William Shaky, I’m not lazy with the phrasey Shakespeare!”

This term, P7 have listened to various short adaptations of famous Shakespeare plays, including Romeo and Juliet, MacBeth, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Othello, Antony and Cleopatra, Twelfth Night, The Tempest, Richard III, Henry V and As You Like It.  P7 have discussed the 3 different genres that Shakespeare covered in his plays – Tragedy, History and Comedy.

P7 have written fake Facebook profiles for Romeo and Juliet, tweets to summarise the Acts in Romeo and Juliet, their own playscript depicting the famous balcony scene in Romeo and Juliet, MacBeth Witches Spell, agony aunt Letters from characters in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, a summary of a strange dream they have had, newspaper articles detailing deaths in Hamlet, posters advertising a theatre performance of Antony and Cleopatra and their own Shakespearean-style sonnets.

On World Book Day P7 studied some of the words and phrases which Shakespeare himself made up, such as eyesore, scallywag, dwindle, swagger, seen better days, to be or not to be, you’ve got to be cruel to be kind and many more…

At our Celebrating Success Assembly at the end of term, we shall sing a song about Shakespeare and his famous quotes.

5 thoughts on “Shakespeare Literacy Study”

1. Hello John, I’m really happy that you enjoyed learning about the works of Shakespeare. You were fantastic whilst acting the role of Oberon in A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Well Done!

2. Hello John, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our Shakespeare Study. You were fantastic as Oberon in A Midsummer Nights Dream. Your performance was lively and very entertaining. Well done!

1. That’s a lovely thing to say Tiegan, thank you. You will love High School. I can talk from experience as I attended St John’s myself. I will miss you and your classmates when you leave, but of course our door is always open for you to visit. Good luck at St. John’s.