Earth Day 22nd April – Eco Challenge from Eco Group and Mrs Flockton

Today marks Earth Day 2020.

This is the 50th Earth Day and this year the focus is on Climate Action. This also connects to The World’s Largest Lesson which is part of Eco Schools work. (Links to both websites below)

Lots of activities and events were planned but this year the theme will be digital based or an activity from home so the Eco Group have set some challenges for you to try.

Can you do any of the challenges?

It doesn’t have to be today but please comment and let us know if you have done anything so we can keep a record for the Eco Group and our Green Flag application.

Task 1 – 

• Have a conversation around climate change with an elderly relative/community member, this could be on the telephone or video messaging.
  •  Draw a Then and Now picture based on their climate conversation, demonstrating the difference between
    the past and current ways of living and how that impacts climate change
  • Demonstrate a positive action for the environment

I have included a list of questions you could ask and a recording sheet if needed – Appendix Sheet 1/2.

Conversations-about-climate-for-Earth-Day

Task 2 –

Earth Day Spot clean –

• During your daily exercise can you tidy your local environment. Can you collect a small bag of litter?

On our family walks we have noticed the litter around us more than previously as we have had more time and walked paths that we rarely go on, so can you help tidy the place around you?

Please use gloves and consider what you pick up at this time. Send a picture to your teacher of your rubbish if possible. We can keep this for evidence for Keep Scotland Beautiful but please do not have people in the picture if possible.

Here is our rubbish collected on one walk.

The World’s Largest Lesson

Earth Day 2020

Task 3

P1/2 – (and anyone else who would like to join in)

You have been set a fun task below based around the book you are reading. Have a look at the Sway to see what your task is. This is a fun activity but remember to work with an adult.

15 thoughts on “Earth Day 22nd April – Eco Challenge from Eco Group and Mrs Flockton”

1. Happy World Earth Day Mrs Flockton. Lots of great activities here, I will definitely get on to a litter pick next time I am out on my daily walk.

2. Good Morning Mrs Flockton & the Eco team. I am LOVING your Earth day post . Thank you for all the information and ideas. I will definitely be looking out for litter on my walks this week. Thank you for all your work and for keeping Methlick Eco friendly even when learning at home.🌈💖👍

3. What a great set of challenges for World Earth Day, one for inside, one for outside and one to get messy. I will definitely take extra care to look out for litter on my morning walks around the park. I think my P2’s will very much enjoy the crayon activity and we looked at the global goals in class briefly too.

4. Yesterday me and my stepmum did a couple of hours litter picking on our estate and we picked up 40 bottles and 6 heavy bin bags full of things like bottles cans and snack papers. We filled the car with so much stuff we had to leave some there like a shower cubicle tyres and other bits. we will try and post a photo of it if we can figure out how to do it

1. HI Logan Good to hear from you.That sounds like a great job you did with the litter- well done. I’m sure you’ll work out how to share a photo. Email it to your teacher 🙂

2. Wow! Fantastic work from you all. It gets very heavy collecting rubbish and by sound of things you had more than average. Thank you so much for tidying the community and making a difference. Feel free to send a photo to your teacher.

3. Logan, lovely to hear from you ! Well done you thats a lot of litter collecting and also quite sad to hear there was so much, Well Done to you both !

1. That is great to hear Finlay and Evie, what you did contributed to make our world a better place 🙂 So well done!

2. Good for you. I’m sure the wildlife will be grateful! It’s such a shame that people don’t tidy up after themselves when they’ve been out enjoying the countryside.

5. We were surprised how much litter was on our country road , so many cans and glass bottles too.

We had 2 small bags and a medium size bag too.

1. Wow! You did an excellent job then Sienna and Sol. It is sad to hear people just leave their litter everywhere but at the same time is so nice to hear people like you can help!

2. Well done, Sienna and Sol. Some people are very thoughtless, aren’t they? I’m sure your country road looks much nicer now that you’ve tidied it up, and the wildlife will appreciate it too.