School visit in Nuuk

I dropped in to the school just down the road from where we are staying and was very pleased that they were able to give me a look around the school and to spend time with me explaining how the education system operates.

img_0842

Kangillinnguit Atuarfiat is a school of about 200 pupils beginning at age 6 and leaving after grade 10 at about 15/16. It has mainly Greenlandic pupils and teaches in the Greenlandic language with just some classes in Danish. There are approx 40 staff including a dentist, social worker, school counsellor and other support staff. The school has a welcoming feel and I loved that shoes came off at the door…one way of cutting down on cleaning.img_0848

Grethe is a support for learning teacher who also teaches English. She spent time with me explaining some of the challenges facing teachers and education in Greenland. It is difficult to train and recruit teachers who speak Greenlandic as a native language and there is a concern that Danish is becoming the language of communication for young people. We also shared some strategies for working with pupils with dyslexia and I will send her some resources on my return.

. img_0846

The grade 10 pupils were out doing work experience and it was explained to me that one of the challenges is encouraging parents to take more of a role in their children’s’ education. People have moved to Nuuk from outlying areas and villages and it is difficult keeping the balance between the traditional way of life and the needs of the modern life in Nuuk. Many families still hunt and travel back to other areas in the summer

Good to see the science rooms too and displays of success criteria and differentiated pupil plans.

.img_0827

img_0837

And staffrooms are the same the world over!!

img_0822img_0821