MEETING THE STUDENTS

10th July 2015 – 7:46am

It was during a chemistry lesson that I was invited to speak to a group of students. I was not only surprised with this opportunity that  was given to me, but I was also impressed by the students’ confidence and the type of questions that they asked. And one question in particular that struck me was: “How can you inspire us?”

Wow! I took a deep breath and I said: “Well, I have been a teacher for 20 years, but more than that I have been a student for my entire life. It means that I learn something new every day. Yes, some people have inspired me and  encouraged me to pursue my dreams. So like you, I still have dreams and it is impossible to predict about our tomorrow. What I know is that, you have to live your present life to the full and you need to give the best of yourself in everything you do. Be honest, try hard, be wise and critical. But above all, be yourself! Find out about your talents and explore them.  Whatever you do, do it with love.”

Again I took my breath, caught a glimpse of the whole class, but they were staring at me:

“In fact, I only can be myself! I hope I can share with you who I am and my life experience.  Life is wonderful and usually full of surprises. And  as an example here I am, my first time in Africa, Ruhuha, at GS Rango.”