Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

Blue Exorcist: a Review

We have a guest blogger – #Sky – who has been reading the manga Blue Exorcist. Enjoy!

blue-exorcist

Picture credit: http://www.shauntmax30.com/965441-full-hd-blue-exorcist-wallpaper-anime-manga.html

My thoughts and opinions on Blue Exorcist

First, a summary from Kissanime:

This world consists of two dimensions joined as one, like a mirror. The first is the world in which the humans live, Assiah. The other is the world of demons, Gehenna. Ordinarily, travel between the two, and indeed any kind of contact between the two, is impossible. However the demons can pass over into this world by possessing anything that exist within it. Satan the god of demons, but there’s one thing that he doesn’t have, and that’s a substance in the human world that is powerful enough to contain him!! For that purpose he created Rin, his son from a human woman, but will his son agree to his plans? Or will he become something else…? An exorcist?

Genres: Action, Comedy, Demons, Fantasy, Shounen, Supernatural, Dub

_______________________________________________________________________

Blue Exorcist is an amazing animé that I highly recommend. Why? Well, let’s talk about the characters to begin with –

Rin Okumura : Rin is our main character  in this story and is also our main source of comic relief;  he is a high school drop-out and cannot hold down a job because of his quick temper and, well, lack of skills. But, he is a kind hearted person who will always protect the people he loves.

Yukio Okumura : Yukio is Rin’s little brother. Although younger, Yukio was made to be a ‘big brother,’ because of his intelligence and calm nature. At the beginning of the story, Yukio is ‘moving out’ of the family monastery and is going to live at True Cross Academy’s dorms, where he will learn to become a “doctor”. Yukio has a kind nature like his older brother but is much more disciplined – and he actually studies!

Shiro Fujimoto : is Rin and Yukio’s father. Shiro is an exorcist who runs the monastery where the family lives. He is at once one of the funniest characters in the whole story and very strict at times; he is first and foremost a father though, who cares about his sons very much.

I will not go into the other characters in great detail; everything I am referencing is from the first volume, so that there are not spoilers!

The summary did exactly as it claims and summarizes the story but I will go into a bit more detail. If you are looking for big parts to be ‘spoiled’ then I suggest you head to Wiki!  😛

The story takes place in Japan where we find Rin taking on some “bullies”. After he has dealt with them he heads back to his family’s monastery to be treated for the injuries he got from the fight, and this is the point where we meet his father – and a glorious moment it is too! The comedy starts from here on; right throughout this scene. We meet several other characters: Yukio, the father, Fujimoto and the other exorcist from the monastery. It’s in this scene that we start to learn a lot about the characters and their relationships to one another, and a very important event occurs in this scene too, one which signals a major theme that will be with us to the end of the story.

After Rin has been ‘told off’ for his earlier actions, we hear of Yukio preparing to leave for True Cross Academy and what he plans to become. When they talk about it, we see what sort of relationship the brothers have and, yes, I still can’t believe how mature Yukio is; he very much seems to be the older of the two.

Once the conversation has ended we swiftly move on to getting Rin a new job, since he never returned to his last job and the employer says, “We have no need of a delivery boy who does not return.” 😀 So, armed with a suit borrowed from one of the exorcists, he goes out to find his dad talking to a mother and daughter. As they leave, Rin walks out to be stopped by his dad and another comedic scene transpires, but I will not ruin the jokes. 😛

When we make it to the supermarket Rin has applied to – actually the guys at the monastery – we see him having his interview with the boss – a rather short, large woman with ginger hair, who makes Rin do jobs such as carrying boxes into the store, gathering the shopping carts; you know the kind of stuff. But for every job, Rin finds a way to mess it up and, at the end, Rin, now in a state of depression, is back in the store, next to an employee who cannot sell some food the manager got in in bulk. Luckily for Rin, cooking is something he excels at! Now with Rin as the cook, the food is selling like hot cakes and the manager is happy with the work he has done.

Outside, Rin is telling the family the great news when he hears the little girl from earlier. Now, Rin being Rin, he goes and helps the little girl by catching her runaway scarf. Once he as retrieved the scarf he notices something holding on to it, but I’m going to leave it here and I’m going to make you read the first volume for the rest. 😀

So in conclusion, I think this is an amazing manga and animé, with great characters and an interesting story. With such a good “plot” and comedic moments, I highly recommend reading and watching!

Of course, all of this is only my own opinion and bases on the English translation/dubbed episodes. The manga is well drawn if you’re more a reader; I’m sure the artwork will be to your taste.

Sky.