Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

Davie and the wide, blue yonder…

Back on Saturday 27th February I went on my first Air Experience Flight with 2365 (Brechin) Squadron in the Air Training Corps. This is part of a wealth of opportunities provided by the ATC.

The aircraft which is used for AEFs is the Grob Tutor G 115E which is a two seater fixed wing aircraft, which also features full aerobatic ability in which it performs magnificently.

This aircraft also has amazing visibility meaning that you can easily take in the view with little restriction. I was airborne during my flight for approximately 25 minutes. I flew from Leuchars Station to Brechin, taking in the new Community Campus and even my own house. Just after take-off I was given control of the Tutor by the pilot and flew all the way to Brechin whilst holding a conversation about my time in the ATC with the pilot.

In the morning of an AEF you learn the emergency drills – these are rarely needed as when flying with the ATC you are in safe hands – and watch a safety video about the aircraft. Safety is a top priority for everyone in the Air Training Corps. After your safety briefing you can get involved in an activity while you wait for your flight, on this occasion it was watching films.

When it is your turn to fly you will be taken to put on a flight suit and life preserver (life jacket – when flying near water) and have a last check that you are ready for your flight. This is also the time were you can ask to bring your mobile phone or camera up in the aircraft with you to take pictures. When the pilot is ready you will be taken to the aircraft and flight crew will help you get into the Grob and help buckle you up.

The pilot will now taxi to an area where it is safe to do some pre-flight checks, the pilot will normally explain the instruments – not like a band – and controls of the Grob. He/she may also explain what they are doing to check the aircraft.

After your pre-flight checks and aircraft control have cleared you for take-off you will make your way to the runway in the aircraft and the pilot will take-off. Try not to be nervous and when it is ok, start a conversation with the pilot. I found that this helped me be calmer and enjoy my flight more. When you have been given control of the Grob the pilot may ask you to do some small turns or for you to ascend and descend. If it is not your first flight the pilot may also do some aerobatics with you. During your flight feel free to take in the view and see the ants (cars and people) move about on the ground.

If you would like to find out more about the ATC please contact:……………………………………………………….

by Davie.