Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

The Force Awakens Reviewed – JG

The Plot

The 7th instalment of the Star Wars franchise is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi and features Finn an ex-stormtrooper who has run away from the First Order who have appeared out of the ashes of the old Empire. He escapes to Jakku and encounters a scavenger named Rey and a droid called BB-8. BB-8 has a map showing the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker who went into hiding after training a Jedi who turned to the Dark Side. Together the 2 humans and the droid must try and get BB-8’s map to General Leia leader of the rebellion whilst trying to avoid the First Order and Kylo Ren the Sith.

First Opinions

I was full of anticipation for the release of Star Wars Episode VII and as the film began and we heard John William’s excellent orchestra play the opening theme accompanied by the classic introduction crawl I was drawn into the film and I shivered with excitement. I was totally mesmerised (also watching in 3D added to this).

The Storyline

The whole film has so many references and pays homage to the Original Trilogy so often, but with enough difference that it is its own storyline. Also I loved the reintroduction of Han Solo, Chewbacca, General Leia, C3-PO & R2-D2 (Luke Skywalker is in the film but only for a minute at the very end).

Highlights

There are many highlights I cannot choose a personal favourite, here are just a few: Finn and Rey have to escape from Jakku so they hijack an old spaceship called The Millennium Falcon, they are later trapped by a grumpy lowlife and Wookie (yes Han & Chewie!). There are many space fights and watching it in 3D was amazing, I really felt like an X-Wing pilot. Another of my favourite parts was inside the Death Planet when Finn, Rey, Han & Chewbacca are destabilising the reactors and Kylo Ren catches them and we witness a very sad but understandable scene.

Comparison to previous Star Wars Films

Was it my favourite Star Wars film? Probably yes, but then I found A New Hope and the Empire Strikes Back as good as each other and the Force Awakens is on par with them. Episodes 1, 2 & 3 were a bit of a disappointment in my opinion but JJ Abrams has done a wonderful job with Episode VII and I very much look forward to VIII (expected in 2-3 years’ time) and IX which they have said will do.

Rating

This is definitely a 7/7 on the Kev-o-meter!

7KoM

Pictures:

Movie poster – starwars.com

Title Crawl – screencrush.com

Rey, Finn & BB-8 – fashionstyle.com

Author: JG

Classroom Assistant & Clerical Officer at Cortachy Primary School.