P1a 13.5.19

We have had a fun few weeks since the start of term. In Literacy we have been learning to spell words with consonant blends such as br and st. We are getting very good at this! We are also learning how to write capital letters and how to use them at the start of sentences and for the names of things. In writing we have been writing stories with a beginning, middle and ending. In the afternoons we have been continuing to practise our literacy by reading treasure hunt clues, writing shopping lists, writing labels for drawings and finding out about minibeasts in books.

In number we have been applying lots of the skills we have been learning throughout the year by counting up money. We have learnt that it is easiest to start counting with the largest coin. We have also found out that there are lots of different ways of making the same amount. In our room we have a shop and we love playing at shopkeepers and customers! We have also practised our maths by doing an adding treasure hunt and time treasure hunt. Our assembly on Friday 31st of May will be about numbers and we are looking forward to sharing our learning with everyone.

On Thursdays we have been visiting different teachers to learn some life skills. So far we have practised wrapping parcels, tying shoe laces and having good table manners. In health lessons we are talking about friendship. We worked in a team to label a person drawing with how different parts of the body could be friendly.

In our topic about treasure hunts we have tried out 4 different kinds of treasure hunt and talked about which one we liked best and why. Our next challenge is to make a group decision about the kind of treasure hunt we want to organise ourselves. We have also been learning about minibeasts. So far we have looked for minibeasts on the ground and in 3 different kinds of trees. We found out that each habitat had different minibeasts. We have been using a minibeast key and books to help us identify the creatures we find. The nursery kindly gave us some caterpillars as some of us wanted to learn more about butterflies. On Friday the caterpillars changed into chrysalises. We have compared the work of artists to photographs of insects and spiders.  We talked about what we liked and why. We were very good at this! After that we did some of our own minibeast art. Mrs Cook was very impressed with our attention to detail and creativity!

Ayleigh – I have learnt ‘ou’.

Andrew – I have learnt about capital letters.

Christopher – I have learnt about different treasure hunts.

Cody – I have learnt about sentence openers.

Ella-Rose – I have learnt to count up different numbers in coins.

Eryn – I learnt how to tie shoe laces.

Ethan – I can count up money.

Euan – I have learnt to count up money.

Frankie – I have learnt about beginning, middle and ending in story writing.

Konstancja – I have learnt that there are all kinds of treasure hunts.

Lucie – I have been learning to make amounts of money.

Luke – I have learnt that baby ladybirds don’t look like normal ladybirds.

Nola – I have learnt how to wrap a parcel.

Olivia – I have learnt to find bugs by shaking a tree over a sheet.

Rebecca – I have learnt ‘comme ci comme ca’ in French.