1a 26.2.19

In numeracy we have been learning about the different words for adding and subtracting such as plus, minus, more, fewer, altogether and less. We have also been talking about different strategies for adding and subtracting and trying to remember some number facts. With Mr Paul we have been learning about length and have been using lots of different practical materials to measure things in class.

As part of our literacy we have been trying to speak in a loud, clear voice and face the people we are talking to. We have also been trying to be good listeners by looking at the person who is talking, thinking about what they are saying and not interrupting. In reading and writing we have been focusing on factual texts. We can identify a contents page, an index, a list, an instruction, a speech bubble and a label. Some of us have been doing some wonderful stories and factual writing by ourselves during our choosing time.

Our transport topic has moved on to learning about transport in other countries, space rockets, hot air balloons and helicopters. We really impressed Mrs Cook with our problem-solving, independence and teamwork as we created a sleigh pulled by huskies and a space rocket for Julianne (our class puppet). We found out how hot air balloons and helicopters work and tried making some of our own. Sometimes we had to be resilient and not give up when things didn’t work the first time!

We are looking forward to our bike trip with Sustrans and our visit to The Museum of Transport.

Ella – Rose  – I have got better at taking away with bigger numbers

Rebecca – I know that rockets have fire when they lift off.

Eryn – Hot air balloons need fire to make them go up.

Ethan – We made paper helicopters and we threw them up and they spun.

Hope – I can label the bits of a helicopter

Olivia – Hot air balloons use fire to go up and they have little holes to go down

Luke – I have learnt how to read and write tricky words like ‘the’ and ‘because’

Andrew – I have been practising sounding out words.

Ayleigh – I have been learning doubles of numbers.

Cody – I have been learning to use ‘and’ when I am writing a story.

Euan – I know how to write the tricky words ‘because’ and ‘your’.

Frankie – To put air into a hot air balloon you need a big fan.

Konstancja – Rockets go into space and they need fire to fly up.

Nola – I can read tricky words like ‘was’  and ‘she’.

Lucie- In my reading books there are labels, speech bubbles, a contents page, an index and lists. They are fact books.